Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotta98

Technical User
Apr 16, 2004
Hello All,

I currently have a partner messaging ACS R6 with a couple of 308EC and a Partner Messaging R1 in a 5 slot carrier.

My biggest problem is that I have a tremendous amount of difficulty administering the system from the telephone set at ext 10/11. It has nothing to do with the system, its just me.

I have no problem administering with the Partner ACS software except that I can't get the modem to communicate on a regular basis.

This brings me to my question. I would rather upgrade to an ACS 7 if the communication problem would be solved. So, the question is, does the new module have a better way of communicating via software. Can I attach the system to my LAN and administer the whole system from that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey Scotta,

The Partner ACS R7 does have an Admin port, but, the R7 processor release has been plagued with numerous bugs.

I installed one at my house and so far no problems. There have been posts on this forum and other ones like it where installers have listed the numerous problems that have befallen this revision of the Partner ACS system.

The remote access card can be tempermental and establishing a good session is often a pain.

I think there is a way to connect an external modem to the R6 ACS processor, but I've never had a need to try it.

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone have more details on the external modem suggestion. If I could just administer the ACS using the ACS software without the connection problems, I would be very happy.

Thanks.

if your on site why use a modem ?

just hook directly up to the processor . you just need a 355 adapter

better yet learn phone programing , its a simple system to program no need for the software .

Only an R7 will let you use an external modem in lieu of the RAC card - you wire it with a 355 adapter to the SERIAL port on the R7.

OR, you can connect directly to the serial port of your PC.

But that's an R7 only? I have a RAC on the R6.

Heh,heh. I think you are going to find that doing the programming from a phone is easier than with the software and getting it to work. It's not hard, just takes some practice. I also can't believe you would have that many changes that it's a big problem.

-Hal

I admit the software is spiffy .
and its cooler to sit behind a laptop and program

to bad it dosnt actully work [wink]

LOL. Well, it has worked in the past but it is hit and miss to get the damn thing connected. It is very easy to use the software but I can't believe that a company like AT&T, Lucent, Avaya would let the status quo stay this way.

It is crazy to have something that does not work on 90% of units as one person had said in the past.

The problem with learning to program from the phone is that the changes are so few and far between that I would be back at beginning each time.

Anyway, am I 100% that I can administer an R7 without this mess? I got a little confused by the replies. Thanks again.

ANY ACS from R3 and higher (including R6 and R7) can have a RAC card installed, which gives you the backup capability AND the modem on Ext. 76.

ONLY the R7 has a serial port that can be connected to an external modem, and that modem connected either to an extension port or even to an outside line. Backups can be done to internal memory.

Thanks for the info. Yes. I do have the latest version of the PC Admin software. 7.0.0.9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back