Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade opt11c to ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

superjett

MIS
Jun 18, 2004
US
Our opt 11c is still running MerMail and we've been having a lot of hardware issues recently so we're looking at replacing/upgrading.

When it was installed, we had tie-lines to a second plant and corporate offices, but those are gone now so we only have the PRI circuit with around 80 lines total, mostly digital with some fax and modem lines.

We do have an existing (good) mpls network connection to our 2 satellite plants so voip would be a consideration.

We have a quote for upgrading to CS1000 hardware and replacement with BCM450 which requires all new handsets. The BCM quote is lower.

Any recommendations, or suggestions on other hardware that would fit? I feel like the CS1000 is overkill for our size, and we don't expect much growth in the future so extra capacity isn't a big deal either. (this plant has been here over 60 years and our industry is not a growth field really)

I agree with above. The BCM platform is much more stable now than when it was released. You lose from features from the 11c, but you also gain some features as well.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

The new Nortel SCS500, pure SIP
from 30 to 5000 users

One consideration, we are an old plant that covers a lot of ground, including a river barge loading station about 1/4 mile from our main office, so we have copper everywhere but not cat5, so an ip-only system probably wouldn't work.

You could upgrade the 11 and add call pilot mini with no ip (SSC Card) or add ip (CPPM)but not deploy ip phones. Then you are ready for IP trunking to your other plants. That would save the expense of deploying new phones.

I have the 2 existing quotes, would anyone want to see what is being quoted just to verify I'm getting what I need but not a bunch of extra junk?

I wouldn't post the prices, but you could post the equipment list here. The system designer/sales person should be able to explain what each line item is, and be able to respond to the question "what would we lose if that item was removed from the quoted system"

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators

Another choice: You might want to tell the vendor you planned on posting it here, less the pricing. That would give them a chance to sharpen their pencils.

Don't post the pricing though. In my opinion, that would not be ethical (at this point in time)

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators

I wasn't planning on doing the pricing, hence the 'what is being quoted. I'm just wanting to make sure we're not getting a bunch of extra stuff that isn't needed for our size/requirements.

I'll try to get the equipment listed so it's readable.

Thanks.

BCM quote:
1 BCM450
1 BCM Expansion authorization code
1 capacity expansion card (not sure we need this based on less than 100 phones)
1 expansion cabinet
1 digital trunk module
1 16 port digital station module
3 32 port digital station modules
1 8 port analog station module (we have 9 faxes plus a couple modems, might need 2?)
1 Call Pilot iwth auto attendant
1 BCM IP Telephony License - 4 seats
4 I2050 Soft Phone Software
100 T7316E phones (need less, plus plant floor phones can be cheapos)
4 KIM Module ???
2 Norstar conference phones with analog adapters
1 aux power supply
1 700va ups
1 additional battery
1 year enhanced warranty

CS1000 upgrade:
way too detailed, but includes 17" monitor, 24 port switch, tape drive, etc etc.

Since I can get the cost of the BCM down with fewer/lesser phones, I think that's the way I'm going to head.

Does the above look right? We have a single PRI, a block of 120 phone numbers but only using around 75-80 of them and we shouldn't have much growth in the future, a slight decline if anything.

Why cant you just do a simple software upgrade on the existing system and install Callpilot...

Ya, I guess I agree with PhoneGuyy. Everyone is compatible, except for maybe one card?

That's what we had originally asked for, and got a quote for upgrading to the CS1000 which is over $50k.

Thank you so much for mentioning that, because I am not that familiar with things to know.

I would straight out specify "I want to upgrade to the latest release, but not replace my cabinets or analog/digital cards or phones." then see what the quote looks like.

I sent an e-mail requesting that earlier this morning.

Thanks a ton.

Wow...50K? I have a quote to go from Release 25 to CS1000 5.5 with Callpilot for 30k, and thats 100 users. 50k seems high to me...

Also, why cant you fix your old switch? There`s no reason why you cant get the old system stable by replacing some hardware.

We have a hard quote on the BCM450 now with all new phones, etc etc for 20% less than the CS1000 plus maintenance is quite a bit lower as well.

Now if I can just put together a good enough proposal to get it approved.

Another update. The day after my last post, we had a fairly major fire at our plant so expenditures got put on hold plus 2 months later we had some flooding too so it was put on hold further.

One thing lead to another including another voicemail failure and we're in the middle of putting in an Avaya IP Office system for about 20% less than the BCM450 was quoted at.

i wouldn't downgrade to a bcm, but then i don't like key systems.. i would move up to a redundant cs1000.. price will be higher, but with comm, saving money up front may not be the best consideration..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back