Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade of Veritas is casuing issues on windows 2000 server 9.0=>9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrcatherine

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2003
US

We had veritas 9.0 on a windows 2000 server and after we had upgraded to 9.1 , the server is acting strange.

It sometimes looses the network connections, users cannot connect to the server unless we reboot the server.

Any bug in Veritas or any solution for this.

One more thing is we have Symantec Antivirus coroporate edition 8.1 on the server.

SAV is scheduled to do virus scan at 1:00AM everynight, and during this time if the Veritas backup runs, doesn't it conflict in any way ?

---Thanks
Cathy

I suggest you to schedule the sav-scan to a different time than you would backup your data. Bouth actions does need much performance...

Did you installed the SP1 for BEWS 9.1?

"We had veritas 9.0 on a windows 2000 server and after we had upgraded to 9.1 , the server is acting strange."

Exact same setup except using Windows 2000 SBS. After the upgrade to 9.1, the server became unreliable.

"It sometimes looses the network connections, users cannot connect to the server unless we reboot the server."

Exactly the same symptoms, sometimes the drive letters would disappear on a gradual basis, to the point that no-one could log onto the server.

"Any bug in Veritas or any solution for this."

Not that I could see (four months ago), and I spent several days looking for the solution.

"One more thing is we have Symantec Antivirus coroporate edition 8.1 on the server."

Yes we have the same Virus software as well.

I don't think it has anything to do with the virus software as I disabled that with no improvement in the reliability.

The system was falling over every two days and was a major problem. We tested everything over a period of two weeks, including looking at Performance Monitoring which showed nothing unusual, even at the time of failure. This failure shows nothing in the event logs, nothing in the performance monitoring.

The solution that has kept the server 100% reliable for 4 months, I switched the Veritas software (as I did notice that the reliability was worsened when using Veritas) to use Microsoft tape drivers, instead of Veritas Tape drivers. I was expecting a decrease in speed, but reliability was the priority. In fact the speed increased slightly and improved reliability to boot.

I am not saying that it will solve your issue, but passing on something I couldn't find when I was looking for an answer to the problem.

Regards

Bob

Bob,

So you suggest me to reinstall the Veritas 9.0 and use the windows drivers for the tape instead of Veritas drivers ?

--Cathy

No Requirement to re-install the Veritas Software.

You should look at the following Veritas support document
It describes the process. Removing the Veritas drivers will force Backup exec to scan for equipment and use the Microsoft Native Drivers.

Hope this helps

Regards

Bob Fryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back