Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade Netscape Messaging Server 3.5 to iPlanet Messaging Server 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalimace

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
FR
I am going to upgrade a Netscape Messaging Server 3.5 to iPlanet
Messaging Server 5.1, can I?

I've found from iPlanet knowledge base and there are migration guide
from Netscape Message Server 3.X to 4.X and there are migration guide
from Netscape Messaging Server 4.X to iPlanet 5.X....but can i do the
upgrade directly?

Thanks a lot...

Hi,

You cannot directly upgrade from 3.x to 5.x. You will have to upgrade it to 4.x first, say NMS4.15 or 4.15p7 and then upgrade to iMS5.x. Follow the Migration guide for both.

Cheers,
Preethy

The major difference is the mailstore format in version 3. Upgrade to version 4 either by using the upgrade procedure or the moveuser utility (seperate server instance and very slow). Once at version 4 your mailstore is in the same format as version 5. Just uninstall version 4 and retain the mailstore. From there install version 5 and point to your existing mailstore. I believe you use the moveuser utility to move your mailstore directly form version 3 to version 5, but the process is very slow from version 3.

Don't forget to modify your directory schema as well and any existing ldap objects. Version 5 is quit different.

We've recently done the 3 to 4 upgrade and are beginning to plan the upgrade to version 5. csheppard mentions uninstalling 4 before installing 5. I'm curious about this. When upgrading to version 4 we left version 3 installed and put version 4 in a different directory. The installer recognized the previous version and allowed us to migrate the server settings. If 4 is uninstalled first don't you lose the ability to migrate server settings?

Is there a benefit to removing version 4 before installing 5?

Thanks,
Marv

I would defifnitely want to keep my server settings. Is there a tool for upgrading the schema and existing objects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back