Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade lots of NW5.1 servers to edir 873

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanhagan

MIS
Feb 28, 2003
US
We've got a lot of NW servers across several sites and we're running NW5.1/SP7/ds 7.62 on each... I've got the info from Novell's site as to the edire 8.7.3 upgrade process, but does anyone have any real-life info on this process? Once we upgrade the root to 8.7.3, how long can we leave the outlying areas running 7.62? What are some gotchas that we might run into during this uprgrade? Also, going to buying some more hardware and adding some NW6.5 servers to the mix later on... I appreciate any info you can throw my way!

TH

How many servers are you talking about?

An eDir upgrade can be a 'rolling' process. Yeah you eventually want to get everything up to edir 8.7.x... but it doesn't have to be all at once or even overnight.

Make sure NDS is healthy and fix anything before making major changes.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Hey Marvin...

Thanks for the reply... We've got around 30+/- NW5.1 servers spanning several sites - some being 1-2hrs away... After reading all the Novell material, we're looking at building up a new server and placing a copy of the root on it and then letting it be the server that really drives edir... The server that currently houses root is a consolidation server that has several departments on it and we don't want to tax it any more than we have to... NDS is healthy on the network - no problems as far as it goes... So we can start the process on a few servers and then roll it smoothly and slowly along?

I appreciate the info!

TH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back