Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade License Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilebalar

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hi,

I have an old PC with Windows 98. I am throwing it away and want to get a custom built box with no OS on it.
Can I buy a copy of Window XP Pro upgrade with my Windows 98 license? When I do the install, how does it verify it as an upgrade? Does it ask for the Windows 98 license key?

Thanks.

Howdy:

You can upgrade to XP Pro from Win98 and it will ask for the 98 Key Code.

Murray

Ah it's not like the old 95/98 upgrade where all you needed was an older windows disk/cd? bummer :(

-----
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to sit there with a dumb look on your face.
I have fun. Usualy at my own expense, but I have fun regardless

Does it really ask for the 98 Key? I don't remember that but its been awhile now.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Yep, it asks for the key to verify authenticity for the upgrade !!

Murray

So even my hard drive is brand new with NO Windows 98 on it, I can still install the XP upgrade as long as I have my Windows 98 license key?

That should be correct. That's how it's been in the past. The upgrade was simply the full version, with an added check to make sure you had a previous version of Windows

-----
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to sit there with a dumb look on your face.
I have fun. Usualy at my own expense, but I have fun regardless

The key it asks for is the physical CD ROM disk with Windows on it.

XP Setup will ask for the 98 CD as proof of Qualifying for the Upgrade to XP. You will not have to type in any 98 Product Key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back