Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade IP412 1.3 --> 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NevsR1

Technical User
Jan 20, 2006
BE
Hello,

I know that it's not a good idea to do an upgrade from 1.3 to 3.2 in onde step.
But is it oke if i'll do it like this:
1.3 -> 2.1() -> 3.1() -> 3.2(53)
It's the first step that i am not sure about. Maybe i should go to 2.0() first, but i can not find the bin files from a 2.0 version.

Thanks.

If they're on 1.3 what type of phones are they using today?

Interesting ;)

Well, 2.0 documentation says that it should be upgraded to 1.4 before 2.0 and 2.1 documentation says 2.0 before 2.1.

I would probably DTE nuke it and reprogram, but that's partly because if it's 1.3, I didn't install the system :)

I did'nt install it either, it's something 'given' to me...
But where can i find these bin files? The earliest version i've worked with is 3.0.19...

Personally I would go directly to the desired SW on a 412, since it doesn't need any boot-loader upgrade.
Instead I would concentrate more on the cfg! As suggested earlier, a rewrite of the cfg would be a good idea :)

What is mend by a rewrite.
Manually redo the whole config?
Or save the config, do a DTE reset and reload the config?

Basically there's a lot of changes on settings and new settings since 1.3 that you would need to go over anyway when upgrading.

Okay...
And i thought i'dd had to worry about the upgrade itself...
There are more than 150 users attached, so i think i know what to do tomorrow...

Thanks for the quick replies!
Greetz.

It doesn't look like you've already been warned but you can't upgrade an IPO from 1.3 to 3.2!

Anything above 3.0 (53) runs different hardware known as DS rather than DT which is what you have. Unless of course you have 150 analogue handsets? DS=Digital Station DT=Digital Terminal. The module bays are different and if you try to put the 3.2 SW on a IP400 DT unit you'll have a toaster and lots of angry customers!

The highest level i would recommend would be 2.1.73 and i would go 1.3 > 2.0 > 2.1.73.

There shouldn't be any need for re-programming but you may want to read through the Global Bulletins first incase there's anything like Park shortcodes that don't work etc. I would also take into consideration that if you have VM Pro/Lite or User S/W such as Phone Manager or Soft Console then that must be upgraded to the compatable release.

If you have any probs or need Bin files etc then get in touch, i have them all.
Good Luck!

Graham

I think somehow we assumed that he has an IPO 412 which would allow him to upgrade to 3.2.

Nice warning... Especially when he's running all analog phones!

There is no problem in going to 3.2(53) with this setup!

Guys be easy on him at least he is trying to answer someone,s quistion.

But you are wright it,s no problem to upgrade to 3.2(53) if you don,t use DT-Phones.

You can also upgrade a 403DT but you can,t use the DT-Ports anymore!!
I also recommend to rewright the config because if you have a corruption then you must rewright also but the custumor would feel the pain.

Greets Peter

Wo!!!

Hang on lads, if you read my post again you'll see......."Unless of course you have 150 analogue handsets?"
Therefor there was infact nothing wrong with what i have written. I still wouldn't upgrade it to 3.2 anyway as when you do it you are infact upgrading in two stages, 3.1.99 first which is a firmware upgrade to allow for 3.2 after. In practice you're actually pushing firmware onto un-related hardware. Thus causing unaccountable errors and could lead to corruption.
Basically, i would never do this unless specifically asked too by Avaya which i seriously doubt they ever would.
It was a sales strategy to phase out the old SDX DT handsets and Avaya have specifically written that 3.0 and above (except of course 3.0.53) are only intended and tested on DS working units.
Do what you like but i would never do this to any of my customers.....for one you will never be supported by Avaya in the case of any fatal errors.

Over to you mate........

Graham

Why talk about DT-related problems when it's mentioned that only analog phones are used?

There doesn't exist any 3.1.99 for the 412 :)
(only 403/406 needs this boot-loader upgrade)

Why wouldn't you upgrade an IP412 with analog extensions only to 3.2 (53) ?!?

Ok, my apologies, i got lost away from the fact that it was a 412. So yes you're correct in saying you don't need the boot loader upgrade.
My concern is clearly stated though in my above post..it is not supported.
Why would you force the unit to a level of software unatended for it? Surely as a level of good housekeeping would it not be best to simply follow the strategy in place to maintain it correctly. I am just concerned that if anything goes wrong then they will not be covered.

Its your call though......

Nev R1...is it that important that you upgrade if so can i ask why?

Graham

mmmm i never seen documentation that said you cant,t upgrade a 412 from a particulair PCS.

What i did hear is that at some time (maby 4.0) you can,t use it on the 403 DT/DS and 406V1 and the first version of 406V2 because of memory size.

Greets Peter

@norstartecky:
Why is 3.2(53) unatended for this 412?

3.2(53) is a rather good build, which runs perfectly at many of our customers.

I'm not saying that its not a good build neither am i saying that it's not intended for the IPO 412 in 'general'. I use it too but on later versions of PCS.

If the 412's at such an early release as 1.3 its probably at PCS 3. I've always been taught not to install past the DT compatable software on these units but mainly with the 401, 403 and 406 due to them having the built in DT ports. Admittedly, as the 412 doesn't have these i've been racking my brains out searching for documentation that explains PCS/firmware/software level compatability but can't find any anywhere!!! Its sending me loopy!

Usually as rule of thumb i wouldn't do it but after tonights lenghy research if anyone can show me some fact sheets i would realy appreciate seeing them....

I stand down for the time being but rest assured i'm onto Avaya in the morning!!

Graham

We haven't seen any problems with 412's running the newest versions. That includes some of the first 412's out there, installed when 1.2 was GA.
We haven't seen problems on 403DT's running 3.2 either.

We haven't seen any documentation stating that "early" boxes, 403DT for instance, should have problems running 3.2. Only downside is that the builtin DT-ports are unsupported.

Good luck in finding doc's that states anything about limitations regarding 412 v 3.2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back