Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade Illustrator 10 to CS2? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunniegirl

Technical User
Jul 24, 2005
US
Hello...

Does anyone know if you can upgrade Illustrator 10 directly to CS2 or do you have to upgrade to CS first and then to CS2?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

From what I've heard about CS2, I would urge you to wait a little bit until there's a patch (hopefully there will be one), there are many bugs being reported...

10 is stable, and doesn't lack too much in functionality compared to CS and CS2.

I think the only version that's considered "better" than 10 was 8. I use CS and it's quite good. The 3-d tools suck, but other than that it's fine.

HTH

Bert

Bert Philippus -

Thanks for the info on CS2...
It appeals to me for the live trace bitmapping to vector...
Do you know if there is there any other software for OSX that does this? Thanks again.

Sunnie:

Adobe Streamline, or from what I hear Flash does a decent job.

FWIW, I always re-draw using the pen tool, it's the only way to get truly good quality vector from rasters. I have heard mixed reviews about the new Live Trace tool. I certainly wouldn't spend the money and risk the trouble upgrading to CS2 just for that...

HTH

Bert

Bert Philippus -

Just an opinion...I hate the CS series. New filters and toolbars, who cares. No productivity improvements, no transparent fade gradients, no proper angle snaps, no offset path slider yada yada...
Thumbnailed icons are gone, and its slow as hell compared to 10.
And as soon as you drop coin for it, CS4 will be out and all your customers files won't open because they can't figure out how to save backwards. All BS.

Just my two cents worth. I have had a LOT less trouble with CS2 than with CS.

The Live Trace feature does work very well and I really like the new Photoshop Effects and Bridge. Flash bitmap tracing may have improved in the newest version but CS2s is much better than Flash MX (IMHO)

CS2 does have some problems working with older files (especially text issues) so if you can keep 10 installed and also have CS2, then I would do that. And if you are upgrading then they "should" both work. (I have no personal experience with this).

It probably depends -- as much of life -- on what you are doing with it [smile] .

My biggest complaint is with tech support which is worst than most -- and that ain't saying much. So the fact that tech support now "supports" CS and CS2 and not the earlier versions would NOT figure into MY criteria.

Nikki Fay

Great advice from everyone...
Not sure where I stand right now, but you've definately given me some pros and cons. It would've made the decision a lot easier if they had just created an OSX version of Streamline... instead, they've discontinued it so that you're forced to go out and spend the bucks on CS2... which obviously has mixed reviews.

Nonetheless, thanks for all the help.

Allyson M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back