Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade GP 9.0 to GP 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbola

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
CA
I planned my upgrade for this weekend but it's looking like I need to postpone. I haven't tested it because we do not have a test environment. Nobody has time to put one together or to test it.

Our SQL Server was upgraded to Windows Server 2003. We decided to upgrade from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 after we upgrade to GP 10.0.

We have a Citrix Terminal Server that outside users connect to for GP. It has not been upgraded to Windows Server 2003. Does it have to be? The system requirements seem to indicate this but is that only if it acts as a server? Our install is like a client.

Also, many of our client workstations have Office 2000. Not XP, 2003 or 2007 and that is again stated as a requirement. Is this only for reports that go to Excel and email? Will GP 10 still install and work if we don't upgrade the clients?

This would be a huge expense for new licensing. Nice that Microsoft GP ugprades are "free" with our annual enhancement fees!

It's been a while, but I vaguely remember a client who used Server 2000 with Citrix...and I believe they were able to upgrade to 10. I wasn't directly involved with it, so I can't be 100% sure, but I believe it worked.

I have no idea about the Office 2000 issues. I've never attempted to use it with GP 10. Honestly, I'd say create a test environment (see below) and try :).

Now, as far as he testing environment...virtualization is the way to go for that. Both Microsoft and VMware have tools that can create an exact replica of a live machine. Then you can pull them off on their own and upgrade it as many times as you like and verify that they work properly. If you can find someone with the time to research it (should take someone with technical knowledge less than a day to figure it out and get it running) you'd be golden.

im in ur stakz, overflowin ur heapz!

Thanks for the info. I postponed the upgrade. We will upgrade the Citrix server and client machines, although licensing alone will be $40,000.

The network guys can set up a virtual machine so they say. I didn't understand what they were saying, so I asked if it can handle the biggest company database, and he wasn't sure. I'd like users to be able to connect to this upgraded version and try it out.

The biggest db took over 4 hours to upgrade the last few times, including servicepacks.

we have gp and other sql ap's running on a virtual machine without any hiccups. took a while to streamline and tweak the server to run sql 2005 properly but in the end it works well and is extremely fault tollerant.

nice thing about virtualizing is that you can cluster in the future on the same box.... very nice.

-----------
and they wonder why they call it Great Pains!

jaz

Sounds good. I am also going to try having a virtual client with Office 2000 running GP 10 using the Virtual Server.

The higher ups don't believe we really need to spend all that $$$ on upgrading office on client workstations and licenses on Terminal Server.

That's the good thing about virtualizing. You can validate upgrades and such without having to worry about bringing your company to it's knees if something terrible happens :). Glad it's working out for you.

im in ur stakz, overflowin ur heapz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back