Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from Rls 2540b to Succsession Rls 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riaanl

Vendor
Feb 17, 2005
ZA
Hey All
I need to upgrade from 2540b to rls 3. Has anybody done it? Does it take long and is there any known problems> It is on a 11c mini.

Many thanks

yes i have done that one, but it was on an 81c. some users have reported that maxp 1 acd groups didn't follow the ncfw after the upgrade, i didn't see that. another problem is clock drift on 2000 series sets. turn lamp audit back on in load 77 to fix that. another possible problem is sets that do not match their as built type..ie sets built as a 3903 with a 3904 plugged in, that tends to down a card or in my switch a loop. all in all is a simple upgrade, make sure you have a new patch load ready...

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Yes, I have done millions of them, or at least it seemed that way.

The whole process, from start to finish takes about 2 hours, depending on the size fo the database. I say 2 hours, because the book has you print out the DNB, TNB...yada..yada...and that can take a while. The actual upgrade, 1 hour, 1 hour 10 minutes tops, unless something goes horribly wrong. I have done about 25 upgrades and have only had 1 Option 11C go bad, and one 61C go bad and both were caused by things not in my control, or the control of the on-site.

make sure your pcmcia card has all the software on it. Make sure you have a win95 laptop with a pcmcia slot available. if you get a bad pcmcia card, you will need the win95 to quickly copy the software off the net. This will work, I have had to do it.

It's real quick though and pretty painless.

1. prints
2. rom upgrade
3. archive
4. upgrade
5. patches
6. schedule firmware upgrades, if necessary, but you don't have to stick around for this.
7. test calls
8. go have beer

not necessarily all in order, but those are the quick steps. Follow the book, it's pretty close.

hope this helps.

John

Finished 80 of them over the last 14 months. I agree with ALL of the previous postings! The only issue we had involved the trunk route optimization feature. We had to turn it off due to the fact that we lots of call redirection in our network (same call may be rerouted to several locations before hitting the final destination). Other than that, no problems.

I have had 12 switches upgrade, all networked. TRO needed to be turned off in the route, use TAT on the d-ch instead. Have an issue with coming from any external route, including internal tie line route, where the call hits an acd with ncfw back out, this doesn't work, had to replace with phantoms

Not a bad upgrade just make sure of the ism's in LD 22 are the same in your upgrade keycode sheet. with 3.0 it changes. nothing's for free anymore :)

-vz

If you need to replace the daughter board which I believe you don't if your already running 25.40b

you will need to do it as a new install

do an archive to the same pcmia card you are upgrading with then you can select the database on the install.

good luck

Upgrading from 25.40b to 3.0 should not require any new hardware.

HI
The system is actually running rls 25.15.....bit older than I was told. I keep getting the following error meassage. Backing up files
/fread: S_iosLib_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND
ERROR: Could not copy file "c:/p/sl1/database.rec" --> "a:/backup//p/sl1/databas
e.0z".
\FATAL ERROR: Could not back up old files.

Also - i upraded the flash boot rom vrom v6 to v10 - i believe rls 3 needs v9 or higher. Anyone upgrade from 25.15 to rls 3?

Hi Riaanl

i have done an upgrade from 25.15 directly to rls3 on a opt.11c. That was no problem. But your 11c is not able to copy the backup file to PCMCIA- Card. At first, format your PCMCIA- card with the Nortel Card Programmer CardPro9.

Good luck.

This might sound funny, but did you put the card in the wrong slot?

John

Just a note, you can actually use a newer OS then 95 to format a PCMCIA card for an Option 11. The problem is that all newer OS's use FAT32 by default for formating. Do not allow the cardpro program to do the formating of the card, use Windows Explorer and select FAT for the file format. This should allow you to use the PCMCIA card in the 11 systems(I believe that Nortel released a product bulletin about this quite a while back).

You might want to use the UPGRADE command in ld 143 to do an archieve database. To do this, you will need to be on TTY 0 on the 11C. This will do a complete backup of your switch to the PCMCIA card, and in seconds instead of minutes.

ERROR: Could not copy file "c:/p/sl1/database.rec" --> "a:/backup//p/sl1/databas
e.0z".
\FATAL ERROR: Could not back up old files.

This error appear when your system is trying to copy files from memory to PCMCIA and the capacity is slow. For example PCMCIA card with 20 MB of capacity only. You need one PCMCIA with more capacity.

Other option is backup the database, then format the daughterboard, reinstall the operative system and restore the database

Javier

Hi Guys - had to go try my upgrade again. And I still have the same problem. Tried 3 different flash cards - from 64M to 128M. Still get the error message. I then chose the option of new software installation with a pr-configured data base....still the same problem....then I tried new software install with basic configuration....no joy....I then spoke to a colleague of mine and they have the same problem at a different site but for the same client. All the hardware was bought at the same time. I am starting to wonder if there is not a problem with the msc card.

Any suggestions?

Did you follow Krulli's advice to use the Card Programmer Tool version 9 (CardPro9) to format the PCMCIA card?

You should have received an "Installer's Checklist" with the upgrade package. The Programmer Tool is mentioned in there.

However, I have actually found that the CardPro9 tool did not work with Win2000 on my laptop. It did work when running WinXP on the same laptop. Others I know don't have a prpblem with it on Win2000.

Steamer

The card was send to me - so I presume the guy did it - what is funny is that the same card worked on other sites.... i just think the system doesn't want change....he he

One issue with upgrading is the software generation step. At one point Nortel used their in house records to generate the software (with its 5 level option system) instead of going directly to the switch and comparing the installed options. Their in-house records are obviously not that complete. And they require use of configurator for your vendor to generate the order.

Problem: Option level 3a and 3 b, one includes the ACD Multi Queue agent option but not the Network Message Service, and the other is exactly opposite. Only level 4 has both. Caused a vast amount of heartburn at my place of business until they stratened it out, which took about a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back