Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPGRADE FROM NT4 TO WIN2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

IANFG

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
GB
I am in the process of migrating my NT4 domain to Win2k by upgrading the NT4 PDC to a 2K DC. I want to increase the c: partition from the 4GB restricted by NT4 to a larger partition that can be allowed by 2K, I have the disk capacity but have not found a way to increase the partition, can't use Partition Magic 8 as it doesn't support 2k Server, can anyone help.

I'd suggest a multi tiered process.

Assuming you have at least one BDC in the NT4 domain:

Promote the BDC to PDC. Upgrade that server.
Backup your data on the old PDC. Verify you can restore.
Wipe the old PDC and do a fresh install of Win2K.
Restore your data/apps.

Having to reinstall the applications will add time, but the time it takes to rebuild the OS is about the same. Restoring data should not be a big deal.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

If you upgrade to NT4.51 you will be able to upgrade directly to windows 2000 server. The make your hard disk dynamic and be able to use all the space avaiable.

IanFG

1. Warning: be carefull with dynamic disks. There is software that does not recognize dynamic disks.

2. Try to use Acronis Partition Expert (trial version)
or even better: use partition commander from v-com.

ciao

Win2KRoot, I wanted to check out the trial of Acronis Partition Expert but their site only seems to have the option to buy it. Where did you find a trial version for download?

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back