Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from Home to Pro, desktop files missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netherbeast

Programmer
Jun 4, 2002
US
I upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro and now I cant find my desktop files that I once had. Anyone know if they got deleted or did the upgrade just move them somewhere else.

Thanks in advance.

Netherbeast,

That really depends on the specifics of your Windows XP install. Do you remember if the install process partitioned or formatted your hard drive? This would have been early in the install process. Do you have more than one hard drive?

Wishdiak

Not sounding too hopeful.

313362 - Data or Program Settings Are Missing After You Install Windows XP

312368 Data Loss May Occur After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading Windows XP

312369 - You May Lose Data or Program Settings After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading Windows XP

DATA RECOVERY links.

Add a user back
thread779-652804

Ok, here is how I did the upgrade.
XP Home was messed up so I did the upgrade by booting from cd and installed xp pro that way.

The computer has one hard drive. I didnt format the drive or delete the partition. I just installed xp pro on the same partition as xp home.

When the install was finished, the hard drive had all the orginal files and programs that were previously installed but the only think I couldnt find were the desktop items or my documents.

Thanks in advance

If you were using the default administrator profile under Home, I suspect the desktop items are gone.

I think as bcaster said if you were using the default administrator account most likely Windows XP during the install has overwritten the entire administrator profile folder if you were using another account previously created that shouldn't have happened.

I didnt use the admin account because i booted from cd when I did the install.

thanks in advance

My concern was that under XP Home you created desktop items or files on the desktop under the default account, rather than creating a new user account.

The easiest place to look is in c:\documents and settings
See if you can find a user there where the Desktop shows the missing files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back