Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade from Home to Pro causes fan to work constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppDev76

Programmer
Jun 8, 2004
US
Hi,
I am having a strange problem.
I have a SONY-VAIO PCV RX560. I wanted to upgrade it from XP Home to XP pro.
The problem is that after upgrading to Pro (fresh install) the computer fan is working non stop! It used to work for a couple of minutes and then stop.

The first time that I did the upgrade, I made a mistake in partitioing, and just to make sure, I used the original system recovery CD and installed XP home again... the fan returned to its original way of working! The for the second time, I did a fresh intall of XP Pro and the fan started working like crazy again.

Is there any connection??

Try Sony support site for the drivers to support the fan control?

Thanks,
I was wondering if there is some sort of settings in XP Pro that controls the fans.

As far as I am aware (I'm no laptop expert) the cooling fan has nothing to do with the OS, it is the settings in the bios and the motherboard that control this fan.
Senses on the mainboard detect the temperature rise and operate the fan when needed.
Have you altered any bios settings?
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I would agree with paprazi that the bios settings may be at fault. check to make sure you didnt switch something you were not sure of. Upgrading the BIOS might help too.

thanks,

Dave

Thanks guys,
I havn't touched the BIOS, I just used windows cd to do the fresh install, but I'm thinking that I may need to upgrade the BIOS.
The other option is to use a fan utility to control it.

Thanks

Thanks,
thats what I just did and it solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back