Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from FLASH LIGHT to STARTALK Flash 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardrycon

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
US
We just moved into this building that has an existing NORSTAR ICS system with a FLASH 2 (Voice Mail Light Card). The Voice mail light is not allowing us to record an inital greeting to direct customers. (Default message is to enter an extension, no way of recording a welcome greeting)

I'm not sure this is even possible but I purchased a Nortel Norstar Startalk Flash 2.1.00 Software Card - NT5B78EB from eBay in hopes of upgrading our system. I replaced the voice mail light card with the new card and reset the database and still do not have access to the AA in F983 ("Not Allowed" msg displayed when selected).

Is this possible? If it is, any help would be greatly appreciated!

If it is not possible, what do I need to do to get a voice mail system that will allow a inital greeting to be recorded?

Try opening up the Flash unit and short the memory cap for 30 seconds through a 100 ohm resistor. Then try booting up the Flash with your new software card. If it still says "not allowed" then you need to purchase a keycode to upgrade from a Flash Lite. Brian Cox
J & J Communications
brian@jandjcommunications.com

After booting with the new software, did you try F903 to set the feature code ranges,then login using F983 and the config password to do the Flash init sequence?

I am having the same problem ... was an agreed upon solution found?

I am also having this same problem......was a resolution ever found? If so please post it!!

If it says "not allowed" when you press AA then you have a Flash Lite software card that does not enable the auto attendant. A keycode needs to be purchased to enable the auto attendant.

Brian Cox

I have two software flash cards. One is E/S FLASH VM 2.0.10 FEAT CART. NT5B78EC and the other is ENG/FRE FLASH VML V2.0.10 FC NT5B78EF. Neither of these cards are Flash Lite......any other ideas?

So, how do I go about fixing this problem not what I have software that is not light?

Like Brian said, you need a keycode to bring it up to full speed.

MarvO said it

I have the lite unit with a VML software card and did the following to make the AA work. Bought a 2.0.1 VM software card.

Installed an old 1.7 VM software and the 4 port upgrade card.
did f903 and f983 config.
Powered down and removed 1.7 VM card and installed 2.0.0 VM card.
Restarted and F903 F983 config.
made sure AA was working.
Powered down and removed 4 port upgrade card.
Restarted and f903 f983 config.
system now operates with AA operating.

I tried every thing else I could find including shorting the "memory cap" nothing else seemed to work.

I was able to get it to work with the memory cap short. Valtag's solution also works and doesn't require taking the unit apart. I did his solution with 1.4 and the unit was a 4 port too. I am not sure if the 4 port card is needed for this solution.

I have 1.7 and 1.4 if you need it.

Good Luck,
Rob

I tryed it without the 4 port card and it seemed to still prevent AA. But I tried so many time I may have gotten lost in it all. Shorting the cap didnt work for me at all, but I didnt try it with the 4 port card.

Valtag

This trick worked for me.

1. Take an old version of flash software (1.5)
Boot it up on an 8x24 or something compatible.
2. Do F903 to set codes.
3. Then F983 Pass: 266344
Go threw setup.
4. When ready do F983 1020000(or 120000).
5. Press 1 Pass: reinstall(734678255) and say yes to reset database.

Walk away for 10 to 15 minutes.

6. Do F903 to set codes.
7. Then F983 Pass: 266344
Go threw setup.
8. When says ready, power it down.
9. Install 2.0 software and power up Flash.

Walk away for 10 minutes.

10. Try F983, if doesn't work do F903 first.
11. once in F983 press 1 Pass:reinstall(734678255) and say yes to reset database.

Walk away for 10 minutes.

12. Do F903 to set codes.
13. Then F983 Pass: 266344
Go threw setup.
14. When says ready, power it down for two minutes and then power up.

Should be all fixed.

I have a similar problem with a flash 2 with 2.0. When I press f983 I try to input the 120000 and the response is NOT ALLOWED. When I press f985 it give me ext xx. I tried restarting with old software but it maintains the config from the initial startup. When you open up the flash to short the memory cap. What does the memory cap look like?
I have never tried that before.

EARTEL
888 416 4327
310 549 0387 Fax
rluna@eartel.net

Thanks Brian Cox for your tip. It worked perfectly.

EARTEL
888 416 4327
310 549 0387 Fax
rluna@eartel.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back