Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade from 9 to 10 recommendations... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross1811

MIS
Oct 1, 2004
US
Hi Everyone,

I want to rebuild my server that has 9 and just start at 10 with a different server. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ross

Well just my 2 cents but it didn't completely suck for me when I did it. I saved the Groups folder \\server\volume\sav or whatever your path is. I installed 10 and flopped my version groups folder in there and it took a few days but I was eventually able to at least see most of my users.

In the event that I either could not see a user or a user was not updating after the 10 install I was able to flop the new GRC file in place and then I was cookin' with fire.

If you should need additional assistance please let me know.

Tamra Graver --CNA, Network+
It is my job to comfort the disturbed
and disturb the comfortable..........

Ohh yeah I forgot system center sometimes has issues seeing 9 and sometimes 8 clients to fix this issue open system center right click on your parent server choose all tasks>symantec antivirus>server tuning options>check allow this server to manager 9x and earlier clients and servers click ok then reload the av

it works like a champ

Thank you Graver..
Working on doing this Globally - and have been running into issues with migrating users out of one parent server into a new one.. and getting communication errors with the older servers...

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

We are having some problems with our move to SAV10 from 9.01.
The most troublesome is the fact that the MS Office 2000 MSI pops up wanting a disk or other location to reinstall the office suite.
Symantec has no fix for this and we have 400 boxes ready to be migrated.
Anyone else having this issue?

Try copying the new GRC file to the old clients and see if they show up in system center after that...It may take a day or 2 depending on how often your clients try to communicate. Also, symantec has 2 reg files call debug on and debug off to check communication between clients and servers.

There is also a diagnostic mode on the server under advanced options. that may help out.

PoliMalaka,

I've seen that issue but its inconsistant... luckily we have all the office install files out on the network...

I've seen that issue but its inconsistent... luckily we have all the office install files out on the network...
We have our office install out on the network as well.
However, we have it in a hidden share \\server\office$ to avoid unauthorized installs.
This problem will not allow the installed to see this share or other parts of the network or workstation appropriately. For example: when browsing for another location from which to install and you happen to select the desktop, an error pops up saying that access is denied. When browsing to the server manually via My Network Places -> Entire Network -> etc, once you hit the actual server, a username and password screen appears. As we are authenticated via our network credentials, this prompt is quite unexpected and indicative of some underlying problem with Symantec’s implementation of SAV10.
We are holding at 9.0.1 for our workstation until we rollout Office 2003 later this year.

So basically,

If I uninstall 9 and install 10 on a totally different server I think I will be alright. What do you guys and gals think?

Thanks,
Ross

So basically,

If I uninstall 9 and install 10 on a totally different server I think I will be alright. What do you guys and gals think?

Thanks,
Ross
Your managed clients may still be looking for the original server.

What about bring 10 online in a different group but have 9 running in parrell until I get them all migrated?

Ross

Actually, that would probably work well. Just make sure you've got a server group with a primary server set before you start moving anything into that group.

10 is really picky about the order of operations if you're upgrading over the top, because it's clumsy about handling the certificates. You want to make sure the servers and SSC are working and communicating before you start messing with moving new things into it.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Why are you guys building SAV10 servers in parallel to SAV9 instead of simply upgrading the SAV9 server?
I have been asked to upgrade our SAV9 server to SAV10 too but was planning a normal upgrade. Are there known issues with this procedure?

Thanks!

David

Just my 2 cents Dkraut2: Dont upgrade yet. Wait a month or two before you upgrade. There will be a new version out sometime soon I hope.

I've had a few uhh... thousand errors, Symantec has told me how to fix it, I do what they say, then another problem occurs.
The biggest one is my servers randomly blue-screening at night and then restarting and screwing up nightly backups, screwing up my Exchange database....

I've done what they recommend for Shadow Volume Copy, but that doesn't fix the bluescreens.
I've uninstalled 10.0.100 and put 9.0 back on for all of my servers. Too much hassle, not enough good tech support.

10 is one of the worst pieces of code ive seen in years.
It has crippled the performance of every system I have tried it on.
Going back to version 9 or switching to NOD32

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

I am looking at upgrading from 9 to 10.... afterreading this post and several others along with documentation and help files from symantec... it is still unclear to me as to what would be the best course of action.

I am currently running AntiVirus Console on a server and manage servers and clients from this machine. Would I be okay installing AV10 overtop of AV9 or should I remove AV9 first?

What about client side, will it automatically push AV10 to clients or do I have to manually push the application upgrade?

your help is appriciated.

Mark C.
Network Admin - Digital Draw Network

so I would probably be better off if I removed 9 from server, installed 10 and then upgraded each client station afterwards???

Mark C.
Network Admin - Digital Draw Network

I upgraded mine from 9 to 10 with no issues except the ones caused by 10 after it's install.

I removed the Console before I installed it and then reinstalled it on my machine afterwards with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back