Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from 7 to 10. How much effort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shine67

Programmer
Jan 11, 2002
US
Hi,

we are trying to upgrade due to the Sybase upgrade to 12.5. I know that PB 7 is no longer supported under this Sybase version and don't want to take a risk of suddenly running into troubles. But at the same time, I don't want to spend too much time on this application we built long time ago. I know it's kind of a very vague question but how much effort should I make for the upgrade? It's not a big application with about 70 windows/data windows involved. What in particular do I have to do to upgrade?

Thanks for any input.
Shine

Migrate the application and address whatever comes up. Since I don't use Sybase databases I don't know if you will have to switch drivers.

If you can get a clean build make sure you test every database call the application makes to verify there is no problem.

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time

Shine,

The diff is huge. PB10's default characterset is UNICODE where as PB7's characterset is ASCI.

I just now migrated application from PB8 to PB10.

You need to fix following problems

1) If you have declared external functions and it uses string as argument or return value, sufix it with Ansi;

2) Remove duplicate varibles. PB8 allows you to declare duplicate variable declaration of type array.

3) Script overflow may occur. If any event contains lines more than 1500 lines, optimize them. Move them to some other function.

Refer to before proceeding.

Hope it will help you.

Regards,
Abhijit.

When I migrated all my external function calls were updated automatically by the process.

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time

mbalent,

I encountered problem while migrating one object which was having external function. Rest all objects successfully migrated and were automatically updated.

Regards,
Abhijit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back