Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from 5.0 > 5.5 knocked out '3rd Party Browser' option??

Status
Not open for further replies.

balls

Technical User
Oct 29, 2002
US
Just when I thought I'd seen it all. I upgraded from IE 5.0 to 5.5. (I'm trying to avoid 6.0 because I am convinced 6.0 is the cause of the 'disappearing gif' problem that's addressed in another thread. And so far, I have not noticed that particular problem in either 5.0 or 5.5 But what I did notice in 5.5 is that the option normally found in the Advanced tab of IE options to 'Enable 3rd Party Browsers' has just totally disappeared from that menu list after the upgrade. Could someone please tell me what's up with this? TIA

balls!

Maybe I can get this thread going. I have seen this problem in various newsgroups and it seems the common ground is that in installing/un-installing, sometimes the install does not write "everything" to the registry.
In searching my registry I found the Key for what you are missing, the path is as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/
Advanced Options/Browse. Then look for a folder called USEBHO and expand it. The values under that are:
(Default) = (value not set)
CheckedValue = "yes"
DefaultValue = "yes"
HelpID = "iexplore.hlp#50606"
HKeyRoot = 0x80000001 (2147483649)
PlugUIText = "@inetcplc.dll,-4878"
RegPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main"
Text = "Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)"
Type = "checkbox"
UncheckedValue = "no"
ValueName = "Enable Browser Extensions"

Now, the only thing I may recommend is to search your registry to see if you have this folder, if so, try changing the checked value to "yes" if it is "no". Otherwise I will submit to others who may know how to add this key to your registry. MESSING AROUND WITH THE REGISTRY CAN REALLY SCREW THINGS UP! Which is why I will not recommend anything else.

Hopefully this can help or at least get more input from others.

Good Luck, skimmers [thumbsup2]

Thanks much, skimmers. I will check that key out as soon as I get to my home computer (am at work now). I think I might be confused a bit in terms of WHERE the ball got dropped as far as that particular option is concerned. My work laptop has 5.5, and that option is not there either. And the only people who upgrade this machine are the techs; I don't mess with this machine at all.

The only version I know for CERTAIN that has that option is 6.0, because the first time I loaded W2K I opted for the IE upgrade to 6.0. After encountering the disappearing gif problem, to which I attribute clearly to 6.0, I opted for 5.5 instead. It's entirely possible that 6.0 was where it got introduced, since I'm now looikng at two 5.5 machines on which it does not appear. My primary concern was that AdShield clearly states that you need to enable that option for it to work properly. However, I have been running AdShield and it seems to be working ok. Maybe in 5.5, that particular option was enabled automatically as the default, with no option to change it. Then with 6.0, the option appeared. I'm just guessing, though; maybe somebody else can provide the missing info. Thanks for your response, skimmers.

balls!

Here is a quote from a response to a similar post of mine at Wilders.org forum:

You are correct - "Enable 3rd Party Browsers" was not a setting included in any IE browser prior to IE6.

Apparently, the issue you're referring to in re: to AdShield is that you must enable that option if you're running IE6.

From this page:
The post goes on to say that at least for the program I was concerned about - the one that made a special point of stating the the "Enable 3rd party browsers" needed to be engaged in advanced options - was automatically covered by the way 5.5 is set up by default. So since that was my main concern, it wouldn't seem to make sense to complicate the registry by adding in this option. Although it might be of interest to someone else for reasons unrelated to AdShield. Thanks again for your response though Skimmers. Have a Happy, Healthy New Year!

Balls!

Just an FYI. I am now on my old home computer that has IE5 SP1 and it seems to confirm what balls has found out, the Enalble third Party...etc. is only availalble on ie6.

Thanks, skimmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back