Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from 2000 to XP - now O/S won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigsby

Technical User
Sep 23, 2002
GB
Hello All

OK so I was bored and decided to upgrade my system to from 2k pro to xp pro - without backing up.....yes I know

Anyway all fine aprt from when I did the finally reboot to start XP loads briefly then bombs out and reboots- only see the error message very quickly all I can catch is 'Virtual memory' and sometimes 'unable to load API'

Thought it may possible be a corrupt pagefile - but it got late so gave up - anyone had similar or any ideas I can try tonight

Cheers

Rigsby,

Have you tried safe mode? If you're not familiar with that, you want to hit F8 just before you see the Windows logo screen (when you see that white progress bar across the bottom of the screen, just before the Windows logo fades in). Start hitting F8 right before that progress bar shows up, and keep hitting it until you see the Windows XP Boot Menu. Arrow down to Safe Mode, and hit ENTER.

If you can get in that way, right-click My Computer, hit Properties, go to the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup & Recovery, and uncheck the "Automatically restart" box. Hit OK, then OK again.

Now reboot. Whatever's causing it to fail should stay on the screen now, instead of rebooting instantly. If you can figure out what's going on from there, great! Otherwise, post the error it here.

Tried safe mode and it still bombs out

Have over written page file by booting using set up discs then going to recovery consoles and typing:

copy boot.ini pagefile.sys

This should kick XP to recreate pagefile

Now get error message (I think as it only flashes up) that says

'Insufficent resources to complete API'

delete the pagefile - I think it may be confused because it's trying to use a 30 byte pagfefile, and failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back