Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from 2000 to 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

pritska

Technical User
Aug 13, 2001
KE
I have a single server at home running Windows 2000 Server (SP4). It had Exchange 2000 running on it.

A couple of days ago I popped in the Exchange 2003 CD. It asked to upgrade the ADC connector, run forestprep and domain prep.

All ran fine. Finished the upgrade process, as far as the disk was concerned.

Started outlook on a client and all fine. Started IE and went OWA and all fine.

What I hadn't done was restart the server. Last night the server was rebooted, and upon restarting, several services are not running, and exchange is not working. I cannot get into outlook or OWA.

When I try to manually start the exchange services it just returns an error message.

Not sure where I should be looking to resolve this.

Any help is appreciated.

it just returns an error message". You'll need to be a tad more specific. Please post any pertinent event IDs and messages in the event log.

Sorry, you're right, I couldn't be more vague than that!

Could not start the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service on local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

When I first went into Internet Services Manager, there were red stop signs next to the 3 Exchange items. I noticed that the locations were \\.\backofficestorage\domain.com\MBX. I don't know if this is the correct location for the mailboxes.

ok, just try starting the System Attendant service. Does that start?

No, that doesn't start either. Similar error, except it can't tell me why it wasn't able to start. I had a look at all the dependencies for all the non started exchange services, and tried to start each of them in different order, but none work. I am going to try and install service pack 1, and then 2. I had a good enough .pst backup so am able to work on this patiently. Thank you for your help thus far. Much appreciated.

OK, don't bother with SP1, just slap SP2 straight on then restart even though you don't get prompted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back