Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from 10d to 11d

Status
Not open for further replies.

abostonma7

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2007
US
Hi Guys,
We are upgrading 10d to 11d. Are there any issues we should expect? What's is the proper way to do it or it is just simply straight forward?

All the ones I've done so far have been pretty straightforward, just an in-place update really, then update the remote agents.

You'll need to reboot several times though if I remember correctly.

Why not go to 12?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

Why not 12.5.2213?

Gotta be a smartass in every crowd...guess it's your day Pat.

When we did the upgrade Symnatec suggested us to back up the Data folder in the BE directory.
The upgrade was straightforward, except for the reboots.
(Make sure you have enough space on the Exchange Server for restore operation, if you are backing up to tape.(restore requires a staging of the entire information store on your local volume)
thanks
Sam

A direct upgraded from 10d to 12.5 is not possible. You must upgraded to 11d then to 12.5

Thanks Guys,
We just did the upgrade, and started the full backup yesterday, hopefully it will eliminate the issues with bengine.exe I had with 10d. I will keep you updated.

Davetoo said:
Gotta be a smartass in every crowd...guess it's your day Pat.

Everyday is my day!

Actually, the only reason I said it is because I downloaded 12.0, and had a problem getting it installed. When I was talking to Symantec support, they said "why didn't you install 12.5?" since that had been released during the time I was working on my issue.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Yeah...I owe you an apology because I ran into exactly the same issue over the weekend! I was upgrading an 11d installation to 12d. The thing is, when I went through the upgrade process through the Symantec website, it only offered me the version 12 software, even though I'm on maintenance! Sort of torqued me off because it completely hosed the 11d install. I had to remove everything, clean the registry, install SQL 2005 Express separately before the version 12 software would install. Only then did Symantec offer up the "why not install 12.5?"...well, perhaps because YOU DIDN'T PROVIDE IT FOR ME THROUGH YOUR UPGRADE PROCESS!

There...I feel all better now. :)

The upgrade did it! Now we have good backups, no problems anymore. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back