Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade Exchange 2k Standard to 2k Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2002
GB
We're nearly up to our 16GB limit on both our two Exchange 2k Standard servers. We have one in Manchester and one in London, connected via our WAN.

As an interim measure I'm looking at upgrading them both to Exchange 2k Enterprise. In the longer term I will go up to Exchange 2k3, but thats not practical just yet. I'm ok for licences.

Does anyone know of any technical problems I may encounter as a result of this upgrade, or have people found it straight forward. Any tips, etc....

Thanks

Pretty straightforward. Just run the install, choose REINSTALL, and that's it. Services will be unavailable to users during that time, but you shouldn't need to reboot.

Obviously, do a full backup before and after. Stop your Exchange aware AV during. Reinstall any SPs afterwards.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I should have mentioned that when you run setup, that you run it from the enterprise CD. But that's a given.

You'd be surprised Pat...or possibly you wouldn't.

Had a guy this week bring a computer in cos it wouldn't install Windows. Well if you try to boot off disk 3, you're going to run into problems.

Well, that's kind of why I mentioned it. Nothing surprises me anymore. But I figured dazzabroughton might know, but some knucklehead Googling for info might come across this thread and not realize it.

I did realise that I would need the Enterprise CD, but I agree people do come out with some classics.

Someone asked me not long ago to have a look at their computer because they were having trouble installing Office XP. I had a look and they were using a Windows XP cd. When I pointed this out, they told me they didn't know there was a difference!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back