Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade Domino 4.5a to 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpmonny

Technical User
Feb 25, 2002
GB
Hi,

I tried to upgrade Domino 4.5a to 5 on my mail server which used smtpmta. The upgrade didn't give any errors, but the server doesn't try to send or receive any mail now even though all of the settings are the same. Why is this or where can I find upgrade instructions?

look at this link :

what's not in this link :
create a configuration document for your server,
and leave all connection docs & domain docs in place... --------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------

Thanks peterve, I followed the instructions and after the upgrade incoming mail is received and processed fine, but outgoing mail is simply queued in SMTP.box under pending conversion and stays there. Do I need to put an entry in the relay host section - I'm using a firewall proxy server? Any ideas?

R5 doesn't use a smtp.box file anymore
if this happens, then you probably have more than 1 foreign smtp domain document *.* in your NAB
Make sure there is only on foreign smtp domain document ! --------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?

I've checked and only have one foreign smpt document. If it doesn't use smtp.box, which mailbox does it use?

I've checked and only have one foreign document. If R5 doesn't use smtp.box which mailbox does it use? And where do I specify the mailbox to transfer to from my other domain server.

it uses mail.box... R5 uses native SMTP
let me see...
try this :
(1) First, check the Server Configuration document; there may be one or more Configuration documents, and the settings may be incorrect as a result of the migration. Specifically, check that the field "SMTP used when sending messages outside of the local Internet domain" (under the Router/SMTP tab) is set to Enabled. If there is already a Configuration document there, re-create this document with the correct settings and delete the old (migrated) document. Re-start the Router task.

Tip: Change the Group or Server Name field of the Server Configuration document from Server/Org to a non-Domino server name or to an entry that does not exist in the Notes domain. This allows the document to remain with settings in the view without the server using the Configuration document.

(2) The problem can also occur when the Foreign SMTP and SMTP Connection documents' Domains\Destination Domains fields do not match, which has been known to occur when customers upgrade from 5.0.2c or earlier to 5.0.3 or later. Check the server SMTP Connection documents; if you have an SMTP Connection Document that points to a nonexistent SMTP Foreign Domain (no Foreign SMTP Domain document of that name), and you stop/start the router, you will get the above error message from Router and outbound Internet mail will not be delivered.

To resolve the issue, try the following:

Add the Foreign SMTP Domain document to reference the Destination domain of the SMTP Connection document or change the destination domain to match the Foreign SMTP Domain document that already exists.
If SMTP mail routing exists on the Replication/Routing tab, change this to include only mail routing as a routing task.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

by the way : how many servers do you have in your domain ?
how big is your names.nsf ?
would you mind sending me a zipped copy of your names.nsf (you can take out all people documents if you want, and if the file is too big... )

thanks

Peter --------------------------------------------------------------------

We have 3 remote domino servers sending mail to a domino mail server at our HQ and it routes external mail from them and itself to a domino smtp server, then through a firewall to their destination. Names.nsf is 172Mb but I can't email it to you as mail isn't going out. Should the server document for the smtp server to the internet be using smtp mail routing or just mail routing? I tried changing it to mail routing and got a domino error, can't find mail.box but mail started transferring to mail.box instead of smtp.box. It still didn't send out though so I changed it back and all mail which had been in mail.box transferred to smtp.box!

yes, set it to mail routing only... you'll have to get rid of smtp.box eventually

do you have these documents :
A global Domain document
a foreign smtp domain document *.*
A smtp connection document

so you have 4 Domino servers ?
Are they all running R5 ?
how many configuration documents do you have ? Make sure you create config documents for each R5 server, and don't use group names in the config document (under basics, Group or Server name:)

which version of Notes are you using ?

how big is names.nsf when it is zipped and when all person documents are removed ?
do you have a webserver or ftp server? you could place the zipped names.nsf on that server, I will download it... no problem
you can send me a mail (don't post that kind of information on this board)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back