Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade Documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogi

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
GB
Is there any documentation (will be searching Microsoft/Google later) on how best to upgrade 2003 to 2008 but mainly I am more interested in whether it's possible to move the to a new server?

I want to get a new server with more memory/HDD space and migrate from our existing server platform.

Cheers,
Carl.

There is no "in-place" upgrade supported, but you can plop your new hardware down in the same subnet as the old SBS 2003 server and a VERY slick migration wizard will import everything to the new server for you.

Documentation for the migration process will be available soon.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Migrating to Windows Small Business Server 2008 from Windows Small Business Server 2003

Having done the migration, I would say that there isn't a "VERY slick migration wizard" but this doc will help you through the process.

What I find most troubling about SBS 2008 is the absense of an equivalent to the SBS 2003 ToDo list. While basic steps are given with checkboxes, the list is far from complete. As an example, nowhere does it tell you to setup faxing and finding the link to the fax wizard is less than obvious.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

I agree Mark. I've even had the migration.exe process break and be unrunable before the upgrade has completed, so that I had to finish the migration by hand and miscellaneous documents. There's a significant difference between what things seemed like in the clean lab prior to release versus how things are when you are trying to migrate real networks.

And the placement of the wizards isn't intuitive. New admins should really spend time poking into every place in the interface to find all the possible wizards to make things easier. Yesterday I fielded a call from a guy who was migrating all his Exchange and data folders by hand and trying to set up Folder Redirection with group policy, all because he hadn't seen the wizarded options for those things in the interface. But they are there, hidden away.

I'd recommend getting the SBS 2008 Unleashed book. It's pretty complete coverage of all the features and has a good index, so if you're wondering if there's a way or a wizard to do something, it's easy to look up.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Something else that can help folks. If you have a bunch of shares that you are moving between servers and you need to preserve share permissions, take a look at my blog.

Regards,

Mark

Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Thank the lord I am not alone in having had a somewhat torrid time in migrating.

Most of it seemed to work, but there were bits that required a lot of tweaking and digging.
The documentation left a lot to be desired to be quite frank.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

The documentation left a lot to be desired to be quite frank.

Sorry, which documentation? The MS migration information or my blog entry on moving shares?

Regards,

Mark

SOrry no mark, not your documentation which if I remember correctly has always been pretty much spot on.

The MS documentation. You would think after all these years I would treat it with better contempt.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back