Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade DNA - Error 401

Status
Not open for further replies.

MATOVTZ

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
HR
Hi all,
I try upgrade DNA 5.0 to DNA5.1 and when start instaling Server Database received message(same is when instaling Database for EMG, DIR,PMG):
String variable is not large enough for string. Check the string declarations. Error: 401.
I have SQL7-SP4 and WIN2000 - SP4.

BR

I've had the same problem when upgrading my DNA4.1 to DNA5.2. You can resolve it by uninstalling a Win2K hotfix (I don't remember which one... i'll take a look and re-post again)

I think it's the following KB
KB824151
Verify if installed. If yes, uninstall it to upgrade DNA. You should reinstall this W2k fixe after DNA Upgrade

Error in Copy/paste...
The fix to be removed is KB840987

Here is the entire SA:

Problem
Installation of DNA5.2 on a Windows 2000 server fails to update database tables. These error messages are shown during installation – “String variable is not large enough for string. Check the string declarations “. Error 401.
By clicking `OK’, the installation continues, and finishes.
An example of a problem that this causes is that EMG cannot be launched, because the `mderr’ table is empty.

Cause
Microsoft Update KB840987 causes the problem. If this update is installed, the DNA installation will use the `TEMP’ user variable. The problem is that the value of this variable (the path to this temp directory) is more than 39 characters.
DNA installation only supports a maximum of 50 characters for the full path, including the file name `detail.log’, (39 + detail.log = 50).
DNA installation prior to this update uses the `TEMP’ system variable, which has a much shorter path, e.g. C:\WINNT\TEMP.
DNA installation on a Windows 2003 server with the KB 840987 installed uses the `TEMP’ system variable, and therefore the installation is ok.

Solution
1) First create a new temp folder with a path of no more than 39 characters e.g. C:\user_name\temp.
Copy this new path in the value field for the `TEMP’ user variable.
This is done via - right click on `My Computer’, and click on `Properties’. Under the `System Properties’ window, click on the `Advanced’ tab, and click on the `Environment Variables’ button. The User variables for the User are shown at the top. This is where the `TEMP’ variable is, and the value that needs to be changed. Reboot after the change. Log on to the server with the same user name, and perform the DNA installation.

OR

2) Uninstall the Microsoft Update KB840987, via Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs. After the reboot, install DNA. After the installation, the update can then be reapplied. The only problem is that, if a DNA reinstall is later performed then the problem will be back.

I've just proved what you said but it still fail
Do you know if there is any other variable that I must modify? path or anyother?
I can't uninstall the KB840987, and in the client I can't uninstall the sp4.
Any ide before formating?
Thanks
corch

just change your temp and tmp system variables to one with a short path, like 'c:\temp\'

--------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get

Hi
I've just proved it changing both temp and tmp to c:\Temp, and it still dosn't work.
Any other idea?
Thanks
corch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back