Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade BCM 400 3.0 to 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelefonGuy

Vendor
Jun 12, 2007
US
I have upgraded a few 3.5 to 3.7 BCM's to 4.0 and have not had any problems. Going from 3.0 to 3.6 then 3.6 to 4.0 I have this question. Does anyone know where to get 3.0 imaging tool software. With the nortel provided software they give you 3.6 imaging tool. On their site in the software section they do not have 3.0 Bit imaging tool. If my upgrade goes downhill during the first upgrade from 3.0 to 3.6, my backup is 3.0, therefore I would have to image the 3.6 and start programming by hand. If anyone could provide any gotcha's or know where to get 3.0 bit imaging software it would be appreciated.

There isn't any 3.0 imaging tool. I have upgraded about 35 BCM's from 2.5 and 3.0 to 3.6 and never had a problem.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

The imaging tool is release independant. The discs shipped with the systems are the IMAGES not the tool used to apply those images to the Hard Disc. That is separately purchaseable.

You CAN purchase 3.0.1 images from Nortel (I don't remember the part number). I have them, but the disc never worked.

MagnaRGP is right, even if you had the 3.0 image disk like 3.7 comes with, it won't do you any good if you don't have the Bit Image Tool.

Just go ahead and upgrade it.

Before you do the upgrade take a few moments to ensure your machine is in good shape:

Clean the inside of the chassis and inspect the board (caps)
Run a checkdsk /f on drives c through g and reboot
Have a complete backup
screenshot your voicemail configuration (CCR, AA, target lines, class params, skillsets if used etc)

Or, just get yourself a pre-programmed 3.6 or 4.0 drive and reprogram the VM from the screenshots mentioned above.

OH Yee of little faith.

No I'm not. It's just I got cocky once and didn't do the backup. Of course THAT was the time the systems BFT caps let go during the upgrade and the customer was watching my every move with a magnifying glass.

Now, I just do it as a matter of procedure. Helps to when the customer forgets to run backups and then screws the unit up entirely.

Once bitten, I start to bite back.

What's a backup?

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)

Thanks for post guys. I always make backups before upgrades. Little good it will do me going from 3.0 to 3.6 though. Once I get started, there is no going back to 3.o so that backup will be worthless. I'll definately backup once on 3.6 before going to 4.o. I shouldn't have to worry about the BFT. It was changed out about 4 months ago.
I do have one more question though. I had someone else tell me after getting the box to 3.6, to make the backup, then reimage with the 3.6 image disks, restore the backup, and then proceed to 4.o. I'm not reading that in the procedures myself and don't think that is correct. What do you all think.

Reimaging the drive at that point would correct some errors that would halt the upgrade.

The reason I stated that is I have had upgrades that have stopped due to a drive on the HDD that was not partitioned correctly. Nortel has said that if I had the bit image tool and a backup I could reimage the drive and correct the partition issue. However, Nortel has always been able to fix the issue for me and the upgrade is successful.

Shouldn't the precheck tool you run before going to 4.0 show if the hd is not partitioned correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back