Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade ARCserve Backup Server R12.5 to R15

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCserveAdmin

Technical User
Jun 21, 2010
US
Planning on upgrading our current r12.5 system to r15 via the upgrade process documented in the Implementation guide. Are there any gotchas that we shuld be looking for? Any advice for those that have gone before would be greatly appriciative.
Some Questions:
Do I need to have SP1 for 12.5 installed on the server before I do the upgrade?
We have one primary and one member server. Is it best to upgrade the primary first and once it looks good update the member? The member server is located remotely and has its own tape unit.

I am just tring to make sure we hae all the bases covered before hand if possible. I know things will still jump up, but trying to plan for as many as I can. TIA

Craig

no, from what I've seen upgrades to 15.0 have been problem free.

no, SP1 not needed.

servers in the same ARCserve Domain need to be upgraded at the same time or there will be a loss of inter-functionality.

probably a bit late for this post but our upgrade was also hassle-free. We did spot a few issues with one of our jobs that had to be re-created afterward but on the whole it was a smooth transition.

now we can back up our shiny new exchange 2010 servers yay! :D

Shad007,

Thank you for the information. Things are moving forward with no major problems as of yet. We are also moving to Exchange 2010 so would appriciate any issues you come across. So far things are moving ahead but we are having an issue with the logs on the Exchange server not being flushed after the backups complete. I feel its probably a configuration issue, but havn't found anything as of yet.

Craig

Hi Craig, with regards to 'backing up' exchange 2010, we had to recreate the job under r15. Also, with relation to the logs not flushing we also had to ensure that the account used to back up the exchange server was part of the enterprise admins grp. (it was related to permissions)

Note: just be aware that if you're rebuilding your job, the first time it runs it will be a full backup (this can throw your tape system out if you run incrementals during the week).

If you're referring to other problems moving up to exchange 2010...thats a whole new ball game ;)

Shad007,

Thanks for the information. My Exchange folks said they had the permissions set correctly but I sent them the requirements again and when I reran the job it did flush the logs. Will miracles never cease. Anyway, one of the issues is that we are also going to Exchange for the first time here so its a bit of a learning experience and just happened to coincide with the R15 migration. Thanks again and let me know if I can be of any assistance from my meager subject knowledge.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back