Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade Apache, PHP, RedHat 7.2 to RedHat 8 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoNZ

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2001
I've been running a RH7.2 server for some time specifically as a web server with PHP as a PHP development/test platform.

I want to use some session control features of PHP but find that they are only supported after PHP 4.2. My server is running 4.0.6. The more I looked into upgrading the PHP module, I came to the conclusion that I should upgrade the Apache version. With the number of dependencies required I figured that the safer way to go might be a complete RH package upgrade. I was thinking RH7.2 to RH8.0

Is this sound reasoning (given the servers application)? What about RedHat 9?

RedHat isn't too proud of version 8.0. As a matter of fact, they jumped from 8.0 to 9.0 and cheated us out of 8.1. Can you imagine? :) You may want to give a little thought to what you want to do before upgrading though. After version 7.3 The configuration files for most of the servers are no longer compatible. For example, SSL is no longer supported in httpd.conf. Instead apache uses ssl.conf. All the files for sendmail are now in /etc/mail/. Sendmail.cf is no longer in /etc. These aren't real big problems but if you were planning on backing up your configs then reusing them on the upgraded version, it won't work. You'll have to reconfigure each of them. You should have no problem however, doing a "copy and Paste" for your vhosts. Like I said, no biggie but it's a nice thing to know before hand. :)

Thanks so far. One of the other reasons to upgrade my develop/test box is because the final product is hosted externally. I find that my host site is right up there with the PHP module at ver 4.3.1, but running Apache 1.3.27. Rather than Apache 2 that seems to be bumdled with the latest distributions.
Would I be better off to upgrade just my PHP module, but use the RH8 dist. CDs, and accept all the dependencies. i.e. get new libs etc.?

If this is a test box then you can forget a lot of what I just told ya (hey I'm keeping the star though) :) You should be able to do an upgrade or fresh install since you're not hosting other domains. Most of the problems with version 8.0 were security issues and shouldn't come into play on your box.

If you are hosted externally, I would suggest to setup an environment as similar as possible to the external one. You could always install PHP, Apache and everything else that comes in to play from source, and use the exact same versions. This way you should be able to avoid problems that might occur on the host, but not locally.

//Daniel

I think you become spoil of Apache, PHP, etc that comes with RedHat. So you're afraid of taking a chance to install them manually and prefer migrating to the later version of RedHat.
Since this is a text box, you should try to install all the packages (php, apache, ssl, etc.) by yourself. It helps you in the future if just in case you need to add some features. You can look online documentation. A lot of people wrote the installation step by step.
My suggestion is to choose PHP-4.3.1 and APache1.3.27.
Good luck.

--
Mike FN
"8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Web Programmer."

My suggestion is to choose PHP-4.3.1 and APache1.3.27
You are aware that PHP 4.3.2 is out, and 4.3.3 is already out as a release candidate, right?

//Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back