Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade a hard drive by a perfect copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamous

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2001
US
I am stumped. I need to upgrade my 40gig to 100gig using a 2.5 laptop drive. I have a PCIMCIA device that allows me to access a second drive on the system. In the past I have been able to use this (and its software) to make a perfect image or bit copy to the new larger drive which then boots perfectly.

Now, with XP and NTFS that doesn't seem to work anymore. I used Norton ghost 9.0 and the drive did copy, but it won't boot. I followed the manual and check the appropriate boxes. (set for "active" on the partition and copyed the MBR to the new drive, ect)

How has anyone upgraded their 2.5 inch drive.

Thanks

Rusty

oh, sorry I just re-read your post, I think you do have to re install your operating system.

Haven't used ghost9 yet, but occasionally on other versions of ghost the boot sector would not get cloned properly - so you might want to run fixboot (from recovery console) on the new drive - (I'm assuming the boot sector files are in place - ntldr, ntdetect.com & boot.ini).

I up graded my 40g to a 80g in my vaio note book, I used Bert Pe with corp. ghost 8 plug in. I have tried to write a ghost restore to a HD that I had in a USB housing, That did not work some of the boot info was not being written. I like the Bert pe ghost plug in it's easy to boot up with bert pe do the backup to USB2 or Fire wire external HD. Install the new HD boot up Bert Pe and restore the image to the new HD and you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back