Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade 8x24 non DS to a DS cabinet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

usulnet

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2012
Hello all,
Our company has this older Norstar system in place. We lost the hard drive on the voicemail system a few times and finally upgraded to a DR5 module so we could move to a Startalk flash. Our operator is going nuts with hangups now and from what I understand its because the KSU doesn't actually support DS to effectively communicate with the module. Would it be simply a matter of purchasing a DS cabinet and swapping it in place of the non-DS unit? Any potential pitfalls I could expect from the upgrade? Would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Regards,
Stephan

Usulnet,

What in particular is driving the operator nuts? The fact that the line doesn't immediately hang up when the other party disconnects? I once had a DR5 cabinet 8x24 that didn't contain DS supervision. Thank goodness for the BCM and UCx.

What phones are you going to use on Lync? Not related to Norstar, but you know the Nortel 11xx and 12xx phones will work as SIP clients on Lync, right?

Indiana University recently went to Lync and disposed of all their 11xx series IP sets and bought all new phones. It's been proven by various sources Lync will support any SIP client, including Nortel SIP phones...

Just curious.

Hi Gordon,

I cannot recreate exactly what is causing it but I think it's if someone hangs up on the startalk system it will try to route the dead call back to the operator. So she gets hangups throughout the day, sometimes a couple a day, sometimes a dozen. This isn't her only job function so this can be disruptive, especially if the fix is just a DS enabled KSU for a few hundred dollars.

In regards to the SIP phones, we run M7310's which I don't see how it could communicate with Lync unless there was a more modern system in place it could talk to. We were planning on going with soft phones for about half the workforce that all but never communicates with external contacts and Polycom's for the remainder. They are inexpensive and I've heard nothing but good things about them and have Lync feature models.

Regards,
Stephan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back