Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade 7.5.1 to 7.5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo1278

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2004
US
i All,

Can someone please tell me what are all the steps that I need to take
care of to MIGRATE MSTR 7.5.1 to MSTR 7.5.3

We have a handful of desktop users.

This is what I believe I should do:

1) With Administrator priviliges, use LICENSE MANAGER to upgrade the
Key from MSTR7.5.1 to MSTR 7.5.3

2) Go to each of the desktops and use "MSTR 7.5.3 SETUP" to overwrite
MSTR 7.5.1.

I believe that should not affect any of the existing projects in MSTR

Can you please share more information or point me to a source where I
can find more information,

Thank you all in advance

7.5.1 -> 7.5.3, follow the steps in the "upgrading" documentation....

Tricky part is to migrate your Web customizations to 7.5.3 (well... should be 99.9% plug-n-play).

2 cents,
FLB

Hi FLB,

Upgrading Works like a charm.

Actually we need to upgrade even the Iserver, Web & NC along with the rest of the desk tops.

The Iserver upgradation seemed pretty straight forward. But the only precaution we took was to have a backup of metadata. Once we got the backup, we upgraded the server to 7.5.3 from 7.5.1

Then, we upgraded a couple of desktops so that we wouldnt run into any problems.

Everything worked like a charm. Reports have been run successfully and sent through NC.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I wonder if upgrading/install Microstrategy 8.0 is also this simple?

- Leo

I wonder if upgrading/install Microstrategy 8.0 is also this simple?

The beauty of it is that 8 is built off of the existing metadata model already in 7 and from what I have seen it is an easy upgrade. That is one of the really big benefits of using Microstrategy and not other BI tools. They have had consistancy in their software and it's all been built from the ground up in house not pieced together by making acquisitions. The only issue you might have is in Web customization, but if you followed their recommendations for customization you shouldn't have a big problem. And no I don't work for them but have been upgrading since 7.0 and haven't really run into any road blocks. Most of the upgrade is tied up in testing.

Hi reisw,

Thank you for the info. I sure will have to do another upgrade to Microstrategy 8.0 in the near future. So, it is nice to know.

- Leo

I have seen a few issues with the migration to microStrategy 8. Here are a few:
- Web customizations can be a pain to upgrade/update
- some installation issues (uncertain if this is MicroStrategy-specific or not though)
- make sure you stay in front of your Desktop when you upgrade the metadata or you risk to get a timeout and fail to migrate the second part of the project! (this is a two-step upgrade and if you don't answer the question in a "timely" fashion, I-Server will kick you out (might be another way to do that update later on, but we could not find it and had to scrap the metadata with the old version to restart the upgrade.... we lost about 1/2 day in the process)
- MicroStrategy 8 clients do not want to talk to MicroStrategy 7.x => you need to make sure you upgrade the components in the "right" order....
- MicroStrategy 8 is fairly new and they are a bunch of defect in it.... (nothing "major" but way too many little things for our users to accept the upgrade! :-( )

What Reisw is true, the metadata it-self migrated just fine

I am personally waiting for the first service pack to be allowed to put it in our production environment....

FLB.

Hi FLB

Sounds like a task that I have to perform in a week's time...Upgrade to Microstrategy 8.0

Whats the "Right Order" that you are talking about?

Any other advices b4 upgradations?

Thanks a lot.

- Leo

FLB,

Any idea when the first 8.0 SP comes out?

Chael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back