Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgradation from Microstrategy Version 6.2 to 7.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simini

Programmer
Aug 5, 2002
US
Friends,
We have undertaken a project for upgrading from Microstrategy 6.2 to 7.2(7i).
Some of you might have worked in such projects or have seen the difference between the two. If you can send me any sort of details, then it will be of much help to me. Like any standard checklists or any new features you have added to your application in addition to the normal upgrade process, will be helpful .
Awaiting in anticipation
Simini.

simini,

I have tried to put down some points which I remember and I hope might be helpfull to u.

The project upgrade from ver 6.0 to ver 7.0 is not difficult.

Microstrategy 7, infact has a upgrade wizard feature which takes u or guides u through upgrading the project. Initially the project has to be upgraded in two tier mode and then moved to the three tier mode. This has to be done by specifying the dot dss files which are available in the earlier versions namely ver 6.0 and below and then creating the source and the destination project locations.
The project has to be configured under the project source which was connected to the earlier version metadata database.

Some features which are not available in ver 7.0, such as alerts, maps etc might not work if it is been used in ver 6.0 projects.

A checklist can be prepared which outlines the steps that must be followed while upgrading the project.
After upgrading the project
It is suggested that u check all the objects by opening it.
The project source should be connected to the same metadata database with which the ver 6.0 project was used.
It is suggested u run all the reports and verify the layouts.
It is also required that u go and update the schema immediately after carrying out the upgrade process.
In some cases consolidations created in ver 6 might not work in ver 7.0. so u have recreate it. In ver 7.0 consolidations are similar to custom groups.
Missing objects if any can be created after a complete check of all the required attributes, hierarchy relations and objects etc.
Once the basic report and objects work properly then we can create various types of reports since there are many more features available with ver 7.2

I will try to put some more information on the upgrade activities.

Thanks
jpnarayanan.

Thanks for your valuable reply. If you can update me with any additional information like any checklists or other 7.2 features which we can implement over the upgraded project to boost the performance, it will be more helpful for everyone who is in the process of such projects.
Thanks
Simini.

Hi simini/narayan

Can i update Microstrategy 5.5 to 7.2 directly. Should I migrate 5.5 to 6.0 first and then to 7.2 ? The reason i am asking is when i try to choose an option to upgrade it in 7.2 desktop it shows two options direct connection and Microstategy 6.x source. Also i would like to know any tips for performance improvement

thanks

regards
vittal

These 2 technotes should answer all of your questions. Great bathroom reading even if you aren't planning to upgrade any time soon.

TN4103-007-0002 -- The MicroStrategy 7.x migration process
TN4103-007-0004 -- MicroStrategy Architect 7.0 migration process FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back