Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upfront Unable to Connect to Database Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFAERBER

MIS
Oct 2, 2002
US
Most of our reports are done using an Oracle Database. I created a new reprot from our Payroll system (Abra) that uses Visual Foxpro. I was able to connect to the database using Cognos Impromptu 7.3 and I can run the report on the server version of Impromptu. Now that I have published the report the users are unable to run the report and get error message the report failed unable to connect to database.

The database does not require a username and passord, and I have setup all the profiles to automatically logon to the database, so I don't think that is the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ricky

Hi,

My guess is that the IWR machine you have published to does not have the database connectivity set up on it (ODBC?) whereas your local machine does.

Could it be something as simple as that?

Regards,

MF.

MF

Thanks for the reply, the IWR machine does have connectivity to the server with the data on it. We have copied the database files locally and to another server and found that the report will run, but for some reason the report will not run using the server where the data is stored.

The server that Abra is running on is a Windows 2000 server whereas the Cognos Server is a 2003 server. We have copied the database files to another 2000 server and we were able to run the report.

We have now determined that the problem exists on the payroll server but haven't been able to determine the exact problem. We see that anonymous user is able to logon to the server and has all the rights to see the data files. Here is the error message we get in the log

The execution of this report at 02/02/2007 09:15:07 failed due to the following reason:Unable to execute report.; BackTrace Info: 1.
File Name: :\src\iwr\iwr\RequestManager\ReportAccess\iwrreportcmd.cpp; Line#:256;

Open a remote connection to your IWR server.
Stop the IWR service.
Start in file explorer /cer4/bin/impserver.exe
hit on your keyboard CTRL+o it will ask you which report you want to open. Select your report , and you might get more descriptive error message.
If the report opens properly , it might be that your reports settings in IWR administration are not properly defined.

Draoued

I did what you said and the report runs properly. What settings are you referring to "reports settings in IWR administration are not properly defined"?

Thanks
Rucky

open Impromptu Web report administration
Select your catalogue and play around with the settings userid/password saved in Impromptu Catalogue or in Access manager. Very often the problem comes from this selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back