Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating User Variables from a CSV File

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebrisbaneau

Technical User
Aug 31, 2003
AU
Hi guys,

I am very new to Framemaker, so please forgive me if I ask this dumb question. I am trying to update my user variables at a document level per document via a CSV file that contains 2 columns - 1st is product code, 2nd is price.

I have made user vars in each document naming by product code, containing a price - then placing them in tables adjacent to text descriptions with the product code (text only).

I have searched high and low for a cost effective way to acheive this simple thing, however I have had no luck. Any ideas???

As far as I know it can only be done with an FDK client (at least if I understood correctly your necessity). Sorry!

Thanks so far for those whom have taken a moment to place some input.

This is the skinny.

I get given a text file from a vax/vms server containing product code and price in csv format. I then have a book made in framemaker MIF format. The book is broken into sections A - S (300 pages). each page of the book contains information pertaining to hydraulic components with a table listing code for the product and a price.

what i need to do is to apply the price in the csv file to the pages in the MIF book. I can see that MIF is readable text with markup tags, and feel that it can be done with a language like perl or python, however I have no experience in either and limited programming ability.

TEXT FILE (CSV) ---> (?????) ----> MIF

that's as simple as i can explain it.

There must be someone amongst this community that can atleast offer some insight, surely.

I'm afraid that Kerlin is right, unless someone has specifically written a Framemaker plugin (FDK), out of the box Framemaker cannot do what you want it to do. Maybe someone on the Adobe Framemaker Forum - might know if such a FDK exists, but I doubt it.

If sunflower oil comes from sunflowers, and vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from?

Hi

Can you send me an example of FM and CSV files? I'll see what can be done. No promisses, though.

Kerlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back