Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating tables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdonahue

Technical User
Feb 4, 2001
US
I have one table with current cost information in it. I would like to update another table with this new information. How can I do this?

I understand how to write update queries. My question was vague so I will attempt to clarify. My first table gets the costs of components updated every night. So when I start in the morning I need to update a second table with this new cost information. The problem is my first table has 46000 components in it and my second table has about 3000 components in it. I only want to update the costs of the 3000 components.

I'm not sure what the question is--you're updating 3000 rcds and they're all contained in one table. Do you have to distinguish between these records and others in the table or blanket update of these records? Does the update of the cost have any repercussions on existing records or do you just work with the new costs for new orders?

To clarify my question. I have one table called rawcomcode this is the table that gets updated every morning with new cost information, but with 45000 records. I have another table called comcode, this table has 3000 records. Every record in both tables has a unique id number in it. What I need to do is update the comcode table with the new cost information from the rawcomcodetable. My comcode table has other parts in the file that I dont want to update, this is why I just dont delete the comcode file totally.

I need to change the values of my personell records the have a character in front of the person_id. Example
1234 Smith Mary will turn into E1234. what would the update or insert query be

Lord have mercy, talk about your non-sequiturs...maybe you meant to start a new thread...

If all employees get the 'E' in front of their EmpNo then:

Update Emps
Set EmpNo = 'E' & [Empno]

In the GUI the updateto: line would have "E" & Emps.EmpNo

If this doesn't answer your question I'd suggest a totally new thread, since your question is lost and discontinuous at the bottom of the older posts. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back