Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating tables via Access Application 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbirdofthesouth

Programmer
Jul 18, 2002
CA
I am converting some Access applications from stand alone to client/server using SQL Server. The tables have all been moved to SQL Server, and are accessible. However only some allow adds or deletes, and others generate the error message "can't go to specified record" when I try to add, and do nothing when I try to delete. I have checked all the permissions that I can find, and they seem to be identical for all tables and users and roles. I have checked the properties of the userforms (that do the adding and deleting) I am creating in Access, and they appear to be the same. Any idea why some tables will allow adds and deletes, and others will not?

in order for you to add or delete records in a SQL table linked in Access, it must have some kind of unique record identifier. If your table doesn't have that, you will not be able to add orupdate or delete records. Add an Identity field to the table and you should be able to work. Note however, that any table changesdo not show up in Access automatically, you will have to refresh the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back