Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Tables Accessed By MDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjjc

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
GB
Hello All Helpful Access Gurus out there

I am working on a database which has a MDE built by external consultants - so of course we dont have the original mdb. I can access all the data tables and update these no problems, but I was hoping to find a way of plugging them in behind the existing mde, as this has some complex reporting options built in.
When i break into the MDE tables using Shift on open, the tables i need to update are actually linked tables.
The mde itself has a helpful 'check path' option where you can change the location, but when i click on the 'attach tables' button [which i assume uploads from the new source], i get permission errors. So the question is - is it possible the mde could have been built to allow updates to be applied by a specific user? or is there a way for me to replace these linked tables with imported tables including updates? or should i just give up and go home:O)
anything to help much appreciated
thanks
CJJC

Dear CJJC,

First, I am one of those consultant types, and I always give the client the Access Frontend mdb code to go with the mde. In the future, you should insist on getting both from whom ever does work for you. Enough said.

Since your mde points/links to other tables, then it is that other mdb(Assuming access backend) to import the data that you speak. Find the 'Backend' access mdb and import your data into that access file.

Note: Backup your frontend and backend before making any changes.

Hope This Helps,
Hap [2thumbsup]

Access Developer [pc] - [americanflag]
Specializing in Access based Add-on Solutions for the Developer

Thanks Hap. No offence intended to consultants!! I wish i had been around when this database was built for my employer then we wouldnt be in this situation now!!

I am methodically working through checking which version of the db the linked tables go to, unfortunately we have 4 copies of the dbase made by various people over time.

Is there no property within a linked table which shows me its original source?

thanks
CJJC

I agree with Hap007--get the front-end MDB, along with any related Admin security information (passwords, etc.). Only commercial products need to tightly control changes to their distributed objects. Even then, the good Access products that I use provide front-end MDBs/ADPs for all but the most proprietary objects. Most software vendors realize that customers need to tailor their products.

If you need to manually relink tables to the front-end MDE, instead of importing data into a back-end MDB, you can use the Linked Table Manager of Access. Open the MDE with the Shift key held down, and choose Tools, Database Utilities, Linked Table Manager. From there you can choose the tables to relink and Access will allow you to browse to different back-end MDBs.

Thanks jfischer, i wasnt aware of the Linked table manager. I shall give that a go
Appreciated
CJJC

Dear CJJC,

Jfischer gives you good advice.

Here are 2 other tips.

1) If you have multiple Access backends, check the date of each access backend. Access tends to change the date stamp of each file as it opens it up.

2) If the Link table manager and date do not help you, just rename each backend db, one at a time, and then run your app. When the app fails, you will then know which files are needed. Make sure to rename back when you are done this test.

Hap...

Access Developer [pc] - [americanflag]
Specializing in Access based Add-on Solutions for the Developer

thanks all! the linked table manager did its bit perfectly :O)
i omitted to mention im using access 97 - in this the manager can be found under : Tools, Add Ins, Linked Table Manager not on Database Utilities

cheers to Hap and JFischer for your assistance

CJJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back