Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Response Table Using Other Input Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

tps131

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
US
I have what I think is a very simple question, I haven't used Access since college so I am trying to re-learn it for a project....I have one main table that I am collecting user input from, however I have a series of combo boxes that have prepopulated values identifying certain threats. I have my main form linked to my "Response" table how can I get the values from the "Threat" combo boxes into the Response table?

Hi. Not really clear on what you are trying to do.

The combo boxes must be bound to fields in your 'main table', then when you choose something in the combo box, the data goes into that field. is that what you mean?

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244. Basics at

Yes that is what I am trying to accomplish. So I want to have a list of 5 items in a combo box, but on the main table which will be the data input table I want to have the field in the table that the combo box populated to be blank initially, yet have defined values in the combo box selections. I know its very simple but I can't recall how to do it.

You are in the forms forum... You should be able to drop a combo box on a form, run through the wizard and be done. If there is no wizard, go into setup for office / Access and make sure advanced wizards are installed.

If you really want to do this in a table...

Design the table
Select the field you want to have the combobox on.
Hit the lookup tab at bottom
Change the Display control to combobox
Select the table with the list as the row source
Bound column is the position of the column that contains the data the will be stored in the table
Column count says the first how many of the columns to include

Oops... met to hit preview post... Continuing

Column widths specifies how wide each column is. A common practice is to make the first bound column 0 and display a second field.

I'm not sure if it still exists or not but there was a bug where the bound column had to 1 to reliably work. I got in the habit so I do not know if they ever fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back