Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating reports in CE 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyute97

Vendor
Dec 30, 2003
US
Not sure how to do this and I am sure it must be easier than how I am doing it. Right now when I have a report that we make changes to I delete the report from CE and add it again. Is there a better way?

Thanks,

--Guyute

From within CR you can open and save directly to CE.

Select File->Open(or save as)->Enterprise Folders(left side lower icon)

If CR 8.5, you'll need to apply the patch from th CE cd to enable this feature.

Once you overwrite a report on CE, you'll have to go in and set the database connectivity again (user/pw), but it will retain the other attributes, such as scheduling and instancing.

-k

Hi,
One of the nicer things I found in CE10 was the ability
to specify what gets refreshed when changes are made or the object is refreshed from the CMC - If you de-select the 'default database and logon info' choice, then you can edit the report in CR and not have to redo the password ( at least, it has worked, so far, in my testing)

[profile]

PS - I'm finding more and more to like in this release...

Thank you both. The save works great.

Turkbear, is it worth the move to 10 sooner rather than later? I might try and get a server then.

--Guyute

Hi, We have found no 'gotchas' so far..I have been importing my CE 8.5 Reports( with folders) and they, so far, have run exactly the same with no changes needed .
Also,we use much custom csp code to query the infoobjects information for report names, parameters, etc and , once I changed the APS references (now called CMS - Crystal Management Server I think just to add one more item to the CCM and CMC list [smile]) to the new server's address , all the code ran perfectly.
I was greatly impressed with this.

If you use AD authentication, the new implementation is much, much faster - as are all my reports ( even on a test server of less 'horsepower' than my production CE 8.5 servers).

All in all, I see no reason to delay, but that depends on how much work is needed to import your objects, etc. and whether your current setup is meeting your needs...

I do highly recommend a parallel setup..Install CE10 clean on a new box, do the imports, etc, test it a lot then switch your users..
[profile]

Turkbear, where did you change the setting to not have to update the database logon info? And by chance, do you know of the same way to keep the parameter settings? Thanks

No they didn't change for me in CR9/CE9 but in CE10 they do on every republish. So each time I have to go to CMC, object, Process=>Parameters and change from [empty] to the default values.

Hi,
Under the Properties tab in the refresh options is a check box for

Current and Default Parameter Values

If unchecked, it should not change any set parameters on refresh/republish, but I don't have a suitable report to test that on.( we seldom use Default parameters)

[profile]

Thanks Turkbear, but In CE10, on the CMC Properties=>Refresh Options panel the only check box is for "show report thumbnail". Are you in CE10? Or did I misunderstand?

Hi,
Actually that title, 'Refresh Options' , is a clickable link that will take you to the options page..There are several links of this design on various tabs and in this version they are all easy to miss because of the 'look and feel' of the new CMC GUI.

[profile]

Boy I feel stupid; thanks for taking the time to clarify!

Hi,
No reason to feel stupid..I must have missed it 5 times before I found out...

It is also no so intuitive that you would go to a tab called 'Process' to set database and other options...
Not sure I like the new GUI as much as the older one, but I suppose its just a matter of familiarity..

Happy Exploring!
[profile]

We are using CE 8.5 ...
Is there any way to automate the batch deleting/uploading of the report files in CE? Any command line approach? This is something that is very tedious for the number of builds and changes we go through.

Currently, IT has to manually approach this task for each of our builds(many) from a shared folder, since we will always be restricted from saving directly to any CE server. The shared folder is composed of the latest files pulled from our VSS. Then they delete all files and readd everything pulled in the build.

Any ideas there...3rd party tool or hack workaround?
I know there is a .net wrapper in 9 that we could access, but we may be stuck with 8.5 for a little longer.

Appreciate it.

Hi - I used the patch to get the Enterprise Folders to open with my CR/CE 8.5 install.

We're in the process of moving to CR/CE 10 and I can't the the Enterprise Folders to open. Is there a patch I need to apply like for 8.5?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

DaBuggs
[ponytails]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back