Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Registery Key (DAO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric2000

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2003
NL
I need a solution that checks the registery and updates to the DAO dll I will be using, if needed.

Of course, I'll do this in my setup routine some day, but I'm not ready for that yet.

So, if anyone can give me some pointers (better yet, a complete guideline) on how to build this routine into a VB standard exe, it would be a great thing.

thanx,
eric

When you create an installation package with the Package and Deployment Wizard or Visual Studio Installer the required DAO dll (data access components) and all required files will be included and properly installed on the target machine.

The PDW only takes a few minutes to figure out and you are on your way.

If I misinterpreted what you are after then please clarify. Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

OK zemp, one more question.

I have just ordered VB.Net Standard edition. Do you know if the PDW is included in this package.

thanx again,
eric

I would assume not. The PDW is old by now and microsoft has the newer Visual Studio Installer. I would assume that they included the VSI with their .NET products. However I could be wrong.

IMHO, if you are going to take the time to learn an installation package, don't bother with the PDW. Learn the newer VSI.

Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

In .NET professional you can create installer projects. I assume you can do that in Standard too....
Greetings,
Rick

But what tool is used to create these installer projects? Is it specific to .NET? Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

Yes, it's like creating a project in VB, C# or whatever, only now you choose Installer project. I can't remember exactly anymore, haven't done anything with .NET for a long timer now (and hadn't done much before....) but it's an intrinsic project (if you can call it like this) so I assume it's specific to .NET.
Greetings,
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back