Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating nVidia Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepenthe42

Technical User
Mar 28, 2003
US
I downloaded the newest drivers for my nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 (PCI). Like all driver updates, the setup program says to uninstall the previous drivers before installing the new ones. When I uninstall the drivers, I get a prompt to reboot. After rebooting, all the drivers are automatically reinstalled. I don't get an option to not reinstall the old drivers, or for Windows to not detect new hardware. Everything is reinstalled before my start up programs finish loading.

I tried to uninstall the old drivers and then install the new ones without rebooting, but I get the message that the old drivers are still installed. I'd rather not overwrite the old drivers with pieces of new ones.

What am I overlooking here? Do I have to go through the Windows System folders and delete every appearance of the old drivers, including the safety "lastgood" driver folder, or would that interfere with the automatic uninstallation process.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

This problem is quite common, you should uninstall the drivers then run something like REGCLEANER and remove all references from the registry then reboot.

You don't state which version of windows you are using but if it's XP then it will install it as a Geforce 3, you should then be able to install the newer driver.

Note: Sometimes the older drivers work better than the newer ones (depending on your hardware).

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Actually, I just run the install over the previous ones. It is nVidia on top of nVidia after all.
No problems for me.

well xp installs only the native nvidia drivers as mentioned.. instead of fearing the uninstallation after restarting, go to device manager once again, choose the display adapter and got to drivers tab to update driver. Specify the location correctly and the native drivers will be overwritten by the latest update. It should not create an issue as mentioned.. uninstallation and restarting is a must for the hardware to be reconfigured. rather than following the new hardware found - install software wizard when it restarts, close this window and go to device manager to update.. Just make sure you download the latest driver from nvidia.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back