Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating motherboard bios 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

handlebars

Technical User
Feb 18, 2003
GB
I am trying to replace a Pii processor with a piii on an old motherboard.

When i restart with the new processor the initial screen tells me that i need to update the bios.

How do i find out where to get this from - from intel or from the mobo manufacturer?

Sorry if this is a really obvious question.

ANdrew

Go to the mobo manufacturer 's web site .They should have som support,download area .
Else you would have to post som more details about your system here in the forum ,so that someone could help you out.

//Regards Soaplover

Definitely off the motherboard manufacturer.

I've never heard of a bios update that can update from a p2 to a p3. surely they're different bus speeds so the motherboard won't support it even with a bios upgrade(?).

I think I'm right in saying that. does anyone know for definite?

Why would they make the processor slot identical in size in that case?

I don't know much about Pentiums, but I presume it's similar to AMD's SOCKET A boards.

With socket A, since the duron processors all the processor slots have been made the same size and shape. I presume this is so that the new motherboards can still support the older processors. However, the old motherboards will not support the new processors because the new processors have a faster FSB which the motherboard cannot handle.

Can anyone confirm that this is the same for pentiums? Or am I wrong?

It depends - many motherboards can support faster processors at the end of their bios update cycle (ie, with last bios available) than they could when originally released. This may include supporting PIII when initially only PII (depends on the design - how forward looking). So its possible handelebars' board will be able to support his PIII with an upgrade (especially with that message - which suggests it was considered in the design).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back