Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating incorrect Table Names (Name autocorrect) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rj51cxa

Technical User
Mar 16, 2006
GB
When I created my first database I was woefully ignorant of the Access naming conventions. Hence I now have tables such a "Master Address List" which have spaces between the words. As I have learned more and developed the database, the names of the objects have been entered correctly.

I would now like to be able to re-name the incorrect objects but I am nervous of doing so because the new names will not migrate through to the queries, forms, reports and VB coding.

I thought that the "Track Name AutoCorrect" function was supposed to do this but, from what I have read, it does not, and causes more problems that it resolves. The general feeling is that this option should be turned off.

Is there any guaranteed method of doing this, or am I best leaving things as they are? (If it ain't broke - don't fix it!)

Best Regards
John

Thanks to both Remou and ZmrAbdulla, you both been really helpful and I have a wealth of information from which to work. Stars to both of you.

As far as vtools is concerned, I don't think it will allow you to change the name of a table, just strings. I have looked at the Accesswizards site and I think this might be more helpful. Either way, I now have a better understanding of the very large amount of work I have in order to sort out my database.

Best Regards
John

ZmrAbdulla,

I tried downloading the Access 2000 Name Builder addin from the AccessWizards site but, when I come to install it, the installation fails because it says it is missing a USysRegInfo table.

I have tried contacting AccessWizards but the email fails, so I am a bit stuck.

I am using Access 2003 and wondered if you had experienced a similar problem. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Best Regards
John

John,
There is a tool called SpeedFerret from Black Moshannon Systems, that works well for renaming. It hits all the locations of object names--which can include queries, code, form properties (such as a sql string for a combobox source or the form's source itself--things that MS's own Autocorrect misses).

The version I have is for, I believe Access 2002 (XP version). It works with Access 2003, with the caviat that you have the 2002 version installed. I'm not sure if they have an update for 2003 or 2007.

--Jim

Thanks Jim, I've had a look and I fear that the cost is more than my bosses will allow me to spend (mean lot!). However, I am also investigating a programme called "Renaming Wizard for MS Access" by ACC Technology.

[link] [/url]

This costs about $34 and might be what I am looking for.

Best Regards
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back