Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

updating from Windows 98 to 98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

bafraley

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
US
I have aquired an older HP with Windows 98 os, and since I use a cable modem, I need Windows 98SE os to use it. So I purchased the windows 98SE full CD, and now My question is: Do i need to do a "clean install", and if so, how do I do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Brad

Don't think you need SE to use the cable, but depends on what you have and how it is connected.
Clean installs are best, but suspect that you could make a dirty install over the top of a previous version.
Easiest way would be to put the install stuff for SE into a directory on the HD then reboot into command mode. Copy deltree into the root, deltree windows, and when done move to the install stuff and run setup.
CAUTION:
Doing this wipes out hardware drivers as part of the deletion and may create problems if you don't have current drivers available.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

WHAT IS DELTREE? SORRY, I'M NEW TO ALL THIS...

BRAD

deltree is a utility program, or better described as a transient utility program, that can be loaded and used to accomplish something. In this case it would be used to remove the windows directory, but since it is in the windows directory chain it would probably be best to have it outside windows.
You would accomplish this by booting to the command line and "copy c:\windows\command\deltree.* c:\ /v". Then "deltree windows".

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I have successfully used a Win98SE full disk to upgrade Win98FE.

Start system with a win98 boot disk and select CD-Rom support
From the DOS prompt go to c:\windows.
rename win.com to win.old (type ren win.com win.old)
go to c:\windows\system
rename setupx.dll to setupx.ol1
if it exists rename setupx.w95 to setupx.ol2 {you may/may not have this file).
select the CD drive and run setup.
This allows the full install to run and doesn't delete any installed drivers.

At the end of setup when you are prompted for the product ID you will see the ID of the previously installed version. You will have to manually highlight each block and delete the contents before typing in the new ID, it doesn't just let you edit what is in the fields.

Your system should now be a 98SE with all previous settings intact - at least mine was..

You shouldn't need to upgrade to 98 se to run from cable... are you by chance trying to install software from your ISP?? if so, chances are good you don't need it. Don't install it. You should just be able to plug in and go.

Don't know where you live or what ISP you're using but here in Alberta "Shaw Cable" expects you to install their software when you don't need it. What the software does is uses your computer to enhance their network. Slows you down so they can run faster. :( It installs a proxy and god help you if you ever try to remove the software, faster to format and reinstall.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back