Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Fields?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncanals

Technical User
Mar 12, 2001
US
I have a table similar to this one:

Field1 field2 field3
1 Serial# 1
2 copy 1
3 .
4 .
5 Serial# 2
6 copy 2
7 .
8 .
. . .
. . .
. . .

How do I create a Query that takes a number/string in Field3 and copies the number/string to the next record if blank until it finds another number in the same field and copies the new number/string until it finds another number/string , etc.?

I've seen a post that say use [FieldName]+1 to get to the next record, if this is true, I suppose that [FieldName]-1 would get you the previous record.

Personally, I would use a recordset of the table, loop through it with DAO code, always keeping the previous value of a particular field.

Feddema's DAO Object Model by O'Reilly (434.95 retail) is a great resource, as is Roman's Access Database, 2nd Edition by O'Rielly ($24.95 retail).

It's been a long day, but I think this will do it. You're counting on the values that you want to transer being "earlier" in the recordset. Try it on a copy of the table not your data!!

Dim blnFoundValue as Boolean

Dim db as DAO.Database
Dim rs as DAO.Recordset

Dim varValue as ?

Set db = CurrentDB()
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("YourTable")

With rs

.MoveFirst

While Not .EOF

.Edit

If not IsNull(!Field) Then
varValue = !Field