Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Fields from multiple tables to SIngle Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

pko123

Programmer
Apr 17, 2007
US
Hi,
I have a crystal report that is created against 5 different Tables, I am pulling fields from all these table, Now we have a Database View that has all the fields that i need to use in this report. Is there anyway to update fields from different tables to single table. I tried to update but i am having problem, report still hold joins for these tables. for example if i update field A from table 1 with Field A from View and Field B from table 2 with field B from View, report still generates a self join between view.
Any help?

Thanks In Advance

When I have replaced multiple tables with a view I have added the view to a copy of the existing report, and linked to the view from a field in the primary table of the report.

Then I replace each table field on the report and in all formulas, groups and sorts with the corresponding field in the view. When no fields are being accessed in the tables, I remove the tables from the report. I then compare the results of the copy with the view with the results of the original to be sure everything is correct.

I am not sure what you mean by the report generating a self join. Once the tables are removed from the view there should be no joins.

MrBill

Hi,
Thanks Bill
But is there any other way of replacing fields, because in my report, over 100 fields are being used and its all over place, in formulas, charts, crosstabs, running total etc. So just wondering if anybody else has any other solution besides to above solution.

Thanks

Hi,
One more thing, how can I find out which field is which on design tab, I mean if report is directly being used in the report (not in formula), is there any search that i can do to find out that field in all sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back