Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Field Size through SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

VANMAN

MIS
Sep 10, 1999
CA
I have an Access DB that I am updating using VB and I want to increase the field Size of a TEXT field from 50 to 200. Can anyone tell me how this is done
I was trying to use EXECUTE to do this but I can't find the correct command.

Thanks

Dim dbs As Database

' Modify this line to include the path to Northwind
' on your computer.
Set dbs = OpenDatabase("Northwind.mdb")

' Add the Salary field to the Employees table
' and make it a Currency data type.
dbs.Execute "ALTER TABLE Employees " _
& "ADD COLUMN Salary CURRENCY;"

dbs.Close

Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"

Sorry this will only create a new field not modify the size of an existing one.

What I've done in the past is add a new column, via ALTER, then UPDATE to populate the New column, then DROP the old Column... Essentially, 3 statements. I really wanted to insure that I did not lose any data, etc...

Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"

I am lazy and I was hoping I could do this with one command not 3, but I guess I spent more time trying to avoid the work than just getting it done. Thanks for your time I will do it that way.

For future reference, you can use the ALTER TABLE command in JET SQL to change a column size.

DoCmd.RunSQL ("ALTER TABLE tbl ALTER COLUMN Test text(12)")

I recommend the Jet SQL Reference in Access Help. It contains the syntax for SQL DDL and DML statements. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions in the SQL Server forum. Many of the ideas apply to all forums.

Well BOB'S YOUR UNCLE that worked like a hot dam, I used db.execute to do run it. I missed the ALTER COLUMN in my original execute. Thanks a bunch I will remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back