Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

updating databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

woaku

Programmer
Oct 10, 2000
US
Hi!

My problem is that I wish to update a database through a visual basic application.
The database I wish to update has two columns "name" and "date".
There could be more than one instance of the same name in a field. For example you can have the name "Jim" about 4 times, but for every name Jim,there is only one "date" value. That means that name and date will make a unique field. The issue is that for every name, I would like to update only the record that
corresponds to the latest date. So if the " name" field has many names and the name "jim" occurs 4 times with corresponding dates such as 1980, 1970, 1960 and 1990, I only want to change the 1990. Is there anyway i can do
this through an SQL. I was able to run a select SQL which selects the
latest dates group by name. However, this cannot work with UPDATE as a subquery.
Hope you can help me out. Thanks.

Chris [sig][/sig]

Chris,
I suggest you move this thread over to the SQL server Forum.
TNN, Tom [sig]<p>TOM<br><a href=mailto:WWW.TNPAYROLL@AOL.COM>WWW.TNPAYROLL@AOL.COM</a><br>[/sig]

Woaku !

This is no really that difficult although I may not be quite intepruting the sitaution here.

I would simply write a stored procedure saying

UPDATE Table SET (Name = Var1,Date = Var2)
WHERE Name = ['Param1'] AND Date = [#Param2#];

The square brackets may not be necessary though !!
Try it you never know ! [sig][/sig]

Hi chris, wouldnt this work.

Scenario :

i) First i would retrieve the record which has the max date. Here i should get 1990.
something like (Select max(year) where name = 'Jim') should do this.
maxyear = max(year)[what ever may be the value]
ii) Then i would use this value in my update statement
something like (Update tablename set year = (newyear) or name = (newname) where year = maxyear)

all the best...vijay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back