Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Database Using SQL in Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

faush

MIS
Mar 6, 2001
US
Is it possible to update the database in Crystal Reports 8.5? If so, how do we disable this so users don't accidentally do this? Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge Crystal is ONLY a reporting\query tool and cannot update the data in the database.

However, if you are still nervous, or will be having regular users create reports, create a user on the DB side that has "read only" access (replace read only with the terminology used by your DB vendor) to the necessary tables. Then use ONLY this user account when creating reports.

Thanks, but since you can go in and manually manipulate the SQL ( Database -> Show SQL Query), isn't it possible to insert Update statements in there?

Again, not to the best of my knowledge. The Show SQL query does just that....it SHOWS the SQL query.

I have never seen any changes made to the SQL query from within the Show SQL Query window actually get saved.

Still worried....implement my "read only" solution.

Actually, you can change the query, which is why there is a "reset" button in the Show SQL window. We've done that before with quite a few reports.

Thanks for the advice, I'll control it on the db side and I'll check with Crystal to see if there is a way to disable this.

Thanks!

I tested this in version 7 with a the db owner of the table. I created a basic report, selecting a few columns from a small table. I then changed the select statement in the show sql query window to an insert statement and could not get it to save these changes no matter what. I also changed it to an update statement.

Let me know what you find.....

It is possible to update the database using version 9 SQL Commands. However, users who are just running the report using a viewer could not 'accidentally' update the database. They would not have access to change the text of the SQL Command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back