Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

updating columns by select

Status
Not open for further replies.

panza

Programmer
Mar 7, 2000
DE
I've got 2 tables, table A lists all categories and the second table lists all books (name, category). Now, I'm using the following statement to view the number of books per category:<br>
<br>
SELECT category, COUNT(category) FROM books GROUP BY category<br>
<br>
Although this ignores all categories without any books, it works great and is very fast. <br>
But I can't seem to update a column 'entries' in the categories table to the number of books per category. How do I do that? One statement? Thanks a lot in advance!<br>
<br>

Hi,<br>
<br>
If you are using SQL Server you can use:<br>
<br>
UPDATE CATEGORIES<br>
SET ENTRIES=A.NUMB<br>
FROM (SELECT category, COUNT(category) AS NUMB FROM books GROUP BY category) A<br>
WHERE CATEGORIES.CATEGORY=A.CATEGORY<br>
<br>
If you are using Ingres the format is:<br>
<br>
UPDATE TABLEA<br>
FROM TABLEB<br>
WHERE...<br>
<br>
HTH<br>
<br>
Cal

It doesn't work well, I'm using MySQL and I tried something easier and similiar to yours, but not even that works:<br>
<br>
SELECT * FROM books WHERE category IN (SELECT * FROM categories)<br>
<br>
Wtf? Any idea?<br>
<br>
Thanks!<br>

Instead of <br>
SELECT * FROM books WHERE category IN (SELECT * FROM categories)<br>
Try <br>
SELECT * FROM books WHERE category IN (SELECT category FROM categories)<br>
<br>
<p>Ged Jones<br><a href=mailto:gedejones@hotmail.com>gedejones@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

In Oracle 7:<br>
UPDATE categories a<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;SET entries=(SELECT nvl(b.counts,0)<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;FROM (SELECT c.category,COUNT(c.category) counts<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;FROM books c GROUP by c.category) b,categories d<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;WHERE d.category=b.category(+) AND d.category=a.category);<br>
<p>Eduard Stoleru<br><a href=mailto:aeg@ziua.ro>aeg@ziua.ro</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back