Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating catalog prices from a database w/o a 3rd party software

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronxjester

Technical User
Jan 10, 2006
US
Hi, I have been challnged to find the most efficient (cost conserving)method of updating the text field of our catalog prices. We are using Quark 6.1 (window OS) and would be willing to upgrade to 6.5 if necessary. I have tried using content genie however, the xtension they use comes up as not compatible with these versions. Is there a way of using filemaker pro, Access or excel that would allow me to update over 3,000 skus automatically or do I have to bite the bullet and put in a request for some expensive 3rd party software?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You do not offer much information to work from.

Do you have an existing Quark project? Are the prices in this project already tagged so that you can utilize an XML solution to update pricing? What database are you currently using to manage pricing?

We currently have 3 catalogs published that are soon to be revised. However, they were never tagged for XML.

I have warned management about this and they have expressed that I would have to "recode" the layouts if necessary. I have never used XML but I guess now is as good a time as any to learn.

As for the database; that has not yet been decide on. Being that this project is in it's infancy, I have time to decide on which database I will use. I prefer MS Access, but I have no problem using filemaker pro if necessary.

Can you not just create the database in FileMaker Pro (for example), create calculated fields that wrap XPress Tags around the fields, then export the data as an ASCII file. Then import into Quark and all the formatting should be done. This way it is simple to make changes to the original data - and only be minutes away from a updated Quark document.

Kind Regards
Duncan

Hi duncdude,

From the time of my last post, I pulled out some of my hair, took a trip down to the book store and picked up some books. This along with some LOOOOONNGGG hours of internet reasearch lead me to what appears to be a solution. I upgraded my Quark 6.1 to 6.5 and downloaded an XML "patch" from their site. Finally, I was able to import all of the data in to nice little text boxes as I had originally hoped to.

However, having gone through similar situations in the past, I will not cry victory until this project has seen various stages of revisions. Therefore, I will keep a copy of your advice printed within arms reach in case everything crashes on me.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

BronxJester

No problem

Thanks for your reply

Good luck!

Kind Regards
Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor